Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I started diving in the early 70's. We had divemasters on working science dives, the guy with the clipboard that logged everyone's time in, time out max depth and remaining air pressure. I don't remember recreational dive master, it seemed there was just divers, instructors and boat captains. When was the divemaster program started, when did they become a requirement on boats.

As far as I am aware there is no requirement for a Divemaster on a boat. There are rules for student to instructor ratio. If you add a Divemaster you can add more students. Makes for a cost saving.

Otherwise, a Divemaster isn't required. As a DM I can take out certified divers and I cost less than an instructor. So if you WANT a guide, a DM is a cheaper option.

In the USA a mate is required on all boats with more then 6 paying passengers. PADI Dive Centers must use a PADI Divemaster or higher to fill this role based on PADI requirements.

It is an interesting question, and I have no clue when it started myself. I have asked a noted dive historian who sometimes contributes to ScubaBoard if he has some insight. No guarantees.

The concept of requiring a DM and the duties of that DM currently vary quite a bit by location. In many sites the DM is just another member of the boat crew who helps divers in and out of the water. In other locations DMS are required by local law to lead divers in the water. I suspect that the history of these customs is also local. Part of it may be law (as in Cozumel), and part of it may be a result of local dive boat operators making decisions about policies that work best in serving their clientele. If everyone else is going to your competitor because that competitor is providing better service, it will make you think about providing that service yourself.

In the USA a mate is required on all boats with more then 6 paying passengers. PADI Dive Centers must use a PADI Divemaster or higher to fill this role based on PADI requirements.

Interesting. Definitely not a requirement here. Any requirements for number of crew and their training would be government regulated. Having a DM would definitely not be a requirement.

Interesting. Definitely not a requirement here. Any requirements for number of crew and their training would be government regulated. Having a DM would definitely not be a requirement.

The rules are different all over the world.

The rules are different all over the world.

I'm not surprised the rules are different all over the world. I find the fact that a PADI Divemaster is requirement in the US for crew on a boat; I have always been made to believe being a PADI Divemaster means nothing to the Canadian government. The standard which was applied to me becoming a PADI Divemaster is the same standard used in the US. This implies that, in the US, boats used for the purpose of scuba diving have different government regulations. In Canada, as far as I know, if you are taking people out fishing or scuba diving the requirements for the boat crew are the same. Maybe this assumption is wrong. I'll have to ask the boat crew next time I'm on scuba dive.

Someone must know when divemasters came into existence

Someone must know when divemasters came into existence

Evidently no one reading this thread does.

I suspect (don't know) that the reason may lie in some of what is posted above. The nature of the use of DMs is different all over the world. Perhaps it evolved at different times all over the world as people saw the need related to the nature of the diving in each location. If dive shops began to see the need to have employees provide differing levels of service to their customers based on those needs, then the agencies probably saw a need to provide the training for that.

Perhaps you can ask knowledgeable representatives of individual agencies when they themselves began that training.

I'm not surprised the rules are different all over the world. I find the fact that a PADI Divemaster is requirement in the US for crew on a boat; I have always been made to believe being a PADI Divemaster means nothing to the Canadian government. The standard which was applied to me becoming a PADI Divemaster is the same standard used in the US. This implies that, in the US, boats used for the purpose of scuba diving have different government regulations. In Canada, as far as I know, if you are taking people out fishing or scuba diving the requirements for the boat crew are the same. Maybe this assumption is wrong. I'll have to ask the boat crew next time I'm on scuba dive.

I think you are reading more into this than there is... A Divemaster is not a US crew requirement. Most "diveboat-size" vessels only require that a properly licensed captain be on board. The Certificate of Inspection by the USCG specifies the crew requirements of a vessel and to qualify as crew they must posses a license or MMC officer endorsement.

PADI dive centers may have to use at a minimum a PADI Divemaster (or equivalent) as a guideline or good practice, but it's not a US government requirement.

USCG Manning Requirements

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom