Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see how it can be a requirement anywhere in the world, but I'm not saying it can't. Yes someone qualified must guide the divers, new divers can only be guided by an instructor while certified divers can be guided by either instructor OR a DM. No requirements to have both on the same dive unless the group is getting too big for one instructor to look after everyone.

A Divemaster from any agency is not required by law in the US. And technically a guide doesn't have to be a DM or an instructor. He or she just has to know the area. It may be required by the operator but many times that is more of a financial benefit for the operator or resort than a safety item. Pros can teach courses and bring more money to the operation. Any boat can choose to call anyone a dive master or dive supervisor or dive guide. Does not mean they are certified by any agency at that level. For guide purposes I don't care if they have a pro level cert. If I hire one all I care about is they know how to find what I'm looking for. I would never rely on them to save my butt. That's for me and my buddy to do.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

In the USA a mate is required on all boats with more then 6 paying passengers. PADI Dive Centers must use a PADI Divemaster or higher to fill this role based on PADI requirements.

Hi Azchipka,

Having just read your post, I'm interested to know whether there is a link to that requirement black on white for a diveboat mate to be a PADI Divemaster of higher. I am concerned that where we are on a holiday (in the US) at the moment, the full time mate isn't even a diver. Could you please reply with link to that info, so we can have it black on white.

Regards,
Buggsy

It used to be instructors and scuba divers, does anyone know when (recreational) divemasters came into being

I don't see how it can be a requirement anywhere in the world, but I'm not saying it can't. Yes someone qualified must guide the divers, new divers can only be guided by an instructor while certified divers can be guided by either instructor OR a DM. No requirements to have both on the same dive unless the group is getting too big for one instructor to look after everyone.

I don't believe a guide is required at all, OW divers are trained to plan dives themselves (and hopefully can do it). Although, most agencies recommend to divers that they seek out a guide for a new area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom