Diver, 15, dies after being pulled from ocean near Boca Inlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there's a lot of silence on this one... a silence so loud it hurts.

In the "friend of mine who was there told me" category.....

Apparently several of the dive boats and divers out on recreational trips were pressed into service on the search. The boy was found almost 2 hours after he went missing. I was told the recovery diver was on the Diversity, out of Boca inlet.
Sad.

Mislabelled?

Yes, there's a lot of silence on this one... a silence so loud it hurts.

I'm not sure what you are implying.

Apparently you don't participate in our social media circles and real life activities, where we all knew him well. We are all well aware of what occurred. There is no silence, just an outpouring of grief over a young life lost. This young man was as experienced as he was accomplished; well beyond his years. He will be missed.

I'm not sure what you are implying.

Apparently you don't participate in our social media circles and real life activities, where we all knew him well. We are all well aware of what occurred. There is no silence, just an outpouring of grief over a young life lost. This young man was as experienced as he was accomplished; well beyond his years. He will be missed.

I'm not implying anything,,, I don't participate in your social circles or activities... I didn't know him personally but my son was freediving just a couple of miles south of where this happened, and again today, and makes me wonder,,,, just that, no disrespect intended
the silence I was referring to was that it took a person from Finland to bring up the subject... not much more in spearboard, maybe I didn't search enough.

I was reading other news and spotted this. Anther freediver mislabeled (in our opinion anyway).

UPDATE: Diver, 15, dies after being pulled from ocean off Boca | www.palmbeachpost.com

I see no mislabeling, a diver is a diver.

If you want to decide who owns the label, Greeks were freediving for sponges before Christ was born, SCUBA is a new invention.:D

Time for the papers to run some articles warning of the dangers of freediving without knowing what you are doing and how to spot your buddy.

Bob

Mislabelled?

What I think people are saying is that a "freediver" is a person who is trained to do such dives and goes with a buddy who also has the proper training, etc. I don't know the details, that's just what I've heard. Either way, still unfortunate. :(

Its a horrible thing. I was involved in a freediver body recovery a little over a year ago. Unfortunately, many people believe freediving is merely holding your breath and going down. There is far more to it than that, and word is slowly getting out that proper training is necessary.

PS. I'm not implying this recent incident is due to lack of training; I don't know anything about the victim. I'm just saying freediving is more complicated than the average joe realizes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom