Diver dead in boat capsizing - South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver dies after boat overturns in surf at Umkomaas | South Coast Sun
ONE diver died when a boat overturned in the surf shortly after launching off the coast of Umkomaas this morning, Friday, 23 March.

Seven of the boat’s passengers are stable, while another sustained a serious injury.

KZN Emergency Medical Services along with other paramedic services responded to the scene and assisted the remaining eight passengers who made their way back to the shore after the boat overturned.

Sad news. The launch at Umkomaas is very tricky, you come out of the lagoon into the ocean with at times currents running across the entry point and very rough conditions. I've been on a rib once or twice where I've thought the launch is too risky (being an experienced skipper myself). Condolences to the family.

Any idea who the operator was and the circumstances, like was it a bad judgement call to launch or a freak wave type of thing? Video of the launch site looks really dicey. I have a trip to Umkomaas (Aliwal Shoal) in a couple of weeks so trying to understand better what happened.

No idea about the operator, I can confirm launches can be tricky. It should not be any problem for experienced skippers, dont launch if its rough...

Sadly I was on this boat. Having completed over a hundred dives (and launches) from this river I can confirm it was a complete freak accident. The river was flowing with rubbish due to storms earlier in the week. One of the outboard motors was taken out by this rubbish and we ended up beached on a sandbar. The most innoxious wave flipped us. We all ended up up in the surf - in my case after an unfortunate encounter under the boat. Unfortunately the chap that died had never encountered surf and panicked causing him to take on water. The rest of us were picked up with a couple having further complications. In subsequent days I completed another 6 dives without incident. Someone told me that over 5000 launches are completed annually with 4 boat flips - sadly only one lost life. I really feel for the chap and his family. What I will say is this is an amazing dive site - in my humble opinion the best in the world and it will not stop me diving here.

Thank you for the first-hand account.

Sadly I was on this boat. Having completed over a hundred dives (and launches) from this river I can confirm it was a complete freak accident. The river was flowing with rubbish due to storms earlier in the week. One of the outboard motors was taken out by this rubbish and we ended up beached on a sandbar. The most innoxious wave flipped us. We all ended up up in the surf - in my case after an unfortunate encounter under the boat. Unfortunately the chap that died had never encountered surf and panicked causing him to take on water. The rest of us were picked up with a couple having further complications. In subsequent days I completed another 6 dives without incident. Someone told me that over 5000 launches are completed annually with 4 boat flips - sadly only one lost life. I really feel for the chap and his family. What I will say is this is an amazing dive site - in my humble opinion the best in the world and it will not stop me diving here.

Back
Top Bottom