Diver Death Belize Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most dangerous part of the Blue Hole dives is, from what I've seen here, people that aren't self reliant, as Chillyincanada stated.

They treat the dive masters like a 3rd grade pupil looks at the teacher. Do what they say. When in fact, if one is uncomfortable or has any doubts about the dive, one should ascend. Maybe to the surface, maybe to your comfort zone. But they don't and get into trouble, running out of air, slight panic etc etc.

I haven't dived much at all with dive shops. I learned with a friend and dove with him mostly back in the 90s. And for the last 15 years d have had my own boat and gear. When I DID go one dive to the Elbow for my first time with a shop in San Pedro, it could have developed in to a problem. (much more if it had been the Hole)

I had my reg serviced at said shop a week before. We descended to about 80 feet on the wall at the elbow and I hear a lot of bubbles. I took off my BCD and saw bubbles pouring out of my first stage (not the o ring). So, I started to ascend. The dive master turns and sees me with my bcd off and in my hands about 30 feet above him and frantically waves at me to come back down. I waggled my finger (Belize way of saying no) and pointed to my reg, and continued my ascent. It all worked out. The guy on the boat gave me another rig and I went back down and finished the dive. The DM didn't say a word to me afterwards.

But had I descended again when the dm was frantically waving, or not done anything, I would have emptied the tank in less than 15 minutes. Then what?

There's a dive site on Boracay PI, that is a bit the same. Everyone wants to go there but it is an advanced dive for sure. We would take customers on three or four dives and evaluate their skills before we took them there. AOW meant squat. I think the same could work for the Blue Hole. Know your divers. I would never dive a place like that with someone I'd never been in the water with.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2014 at 10:36 AM ----------

BUT, how has this conversation morphed into a Blue Hole bash fest….???…when we don't know how the man died? Did he have a heart attack? It could have happened anywhere if so.

My issue with the BH dive is two fold; with deep dives the safety margin of gas is dramatically reduced and there is no redundancy (DM's tank I do not include as redundant). To further complicate this is the issue of deep air (the debate continues...) I personally have an issue with new/ inexperienced divers that have not yet experienced narcosis to a significant degree diving the profile the BH requires. I agree that divers that are qualified to do this dive wouldn't given these factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never heard any of that but then I was qualified and experienced for it before I did it the first time. Perhaps while all of that conversation is going on, I'm already sitting on the boat. No idea.

So where did you hear that conversation?

Self responsibility is complete trash?

And when do you hear your suggested conversation at other locales?

Everyone knows those conversations go on everyday in Belize. If you haven't heard one with all your trips there, I don't know what to tell you. You really seem to have selective memory. Do you think the PADI Belize letter and the state dept warnings don't exist? Do you think those are just harassment with ulterior motives, someone's personal vendetta? What exactly do you think those are about? You must totally dismiss them or don't believe they exist.

Self-responsibility is not complete trash, I was referring to giving dive operators a pass on their ethics and responsibilities which when it comes to Belize you do on a regular basis.

How is it that you can recognize bad operators and diving protocols in Cozumel but you can't recognize them in Belize? And what's stranger still to me is that in order for you to recognize them in Cozumel and call them out, you first have to see them correlated in Belize, yet you don't admit they are, but then you can point at the Cozumel dive industry and recognize them? How are you able to recognize the same issues in another location but then be blind to them in Belize?

Like I have to tell the Cozu-holics who get so upset anytime you bring up any reality that doesn't fit into their Cozumel experience of unicorns and rainbows... The blue hole diving is a problem, it's un-deniable, it violates diving standards, PADI has officially recognized it, the State dept of the USA has recognized it, it's been recognized over and over again a hundred times on this very forum. It's a problem. BUT, because it is and admitting it is, that doesn't have to lessen your enjoyment and excitement for Belize and your experiences there, it's simply acknowledging a blatant issue that is not a secret to anyone, it's not saying Belize sucks, its just acknowledging a single issue.

I know I posted this before, but the absolute funniest part of the Blue Hole dives is that anybody who is actually qualified to do the dive would never do it with a single tank.

The mark of being qualified for the above dive is to refuse to go.

flots.

So you believe the DM's doing the dive are not qualified to do it?

being a DM doesn't qualify you to do deco. nor does it qualify you to take new, inexperienced, or vacation divers to the limits or past recreational depths.

Cannot say ... although being a dive master does not qualify you to go deco or past 40 meters.
Fact is that running into deco obligation without a redundant source of air (twins with or without manifold or pony tank) it is NOT the way to safely dive. Especially in an istabuddy situation, where your buddy rarely if ever is within arm length reach.

Finally being qualified does not mean you have the experience and expertise to do it or lead others there.

I am Hypoxic Trimix qualified (i.e. no depth limit) so I am qualified to dive 100 meters (330') but I do not do it because I do not feel I have the right amount of experience yet right now my personal limit is 80 ...

All of us should set personal limits and adhere them, and maybe re evaluate them based on recency, experience and fitness. Many times we run into problems going where we did not go before ... without the experience training and planning needed.

My 2c.

Fabio

Is there any paticular reason to not stop descending at a shallow depth in the blue hole? Perhaps 80' would be a safe depth to enjoy the dive?

I have no idea if any particular DM is qualified to perform this dive solo or with a buddy. That depends on their training and skill level.

However since no recreational agency has a protocol or procedure or certification that allows a DM to lead a group of divers on this dive, they're absolutely not certified for it.

If you want to see who's ready for this dive, think about what would happen if the boat pulled up to the hole and the captain said "It's 400' to the bottom, the DMs will not be getting in the water with you. We're leaving in an hour. Have a nice dive"

flots.

Is there any paticular reason to not stop descending at a shallow depth in the blue hole? Perhaps 80' would be a safe depth to enjoy the dive?

When I was there with TIR, we separated into two groups. One went to 60' to 80', the other was supposed to go to 130'. A little more than half of us went to the cavern zone (deep). Obviously, some do choose to dive the Hole shallow, but I would guess most go for the cavern zone.

There is little to see at 60' to 80' (not that there is too much to see at 140'). We were lucky and there were many sharks that day to keep things a bit more interesting. But the "point" of the dive is to enter the cavern zone and see / swim amongst the stalagtites - and the roof is at about 132'. I went with the group to the cavern and hit 140'. At the time I was AOW with about 75 dives, including several to 100/110' (at Cozumel). Diving a Suunto, I briefly went into a 5 or 8 minute deco obligation (don't remember - it was a few years ago) which was gone by the time we reached safety stop depth. The same occurs if you dive Devil's Throat at Cozumel. Devil's Throat brings you easily to the recreational limit or a few feet below as well.

True, as that will give you the right to say you dove it when people post it on their FB, etc. But most want to do to 140-150 to see the caverns, maybe even swim behind a column. I stayed outside with my pony and camera, shooting pics and trying to help watch for needy. I was pretty narced tho, and I enjoy narc, so I'm glad nothing went wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom