Diver death in Arkansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there. Protocols were followed. Here are the facts, as I remember them from 9 years ago.

The OW class was given the signal to surface immediately, once the instructor noticed the two missing.

The autopsy concluded there was no water in Sri's lungs. I could say more but I won't. I was on the boat. I know when everyone surfaced. I know that particular cove well. There were no obstructions. Visibility was adequate enough to maintain the Buddy System. I had just completed a dive in this cove 10 min prior to the OW class began their descent.

Read between the lines.

Suggest moving this 9 yr old thread to AI,

Welcome to the board ElysiumJD, and thanks for the added info.

At what point did the instructors note that the two were missing?

What were the results on inspection of the deceased's gear?

I was there. Protocols were followed. Here are the facts, as I remember them from 9 years ago.

The OW class was given the signal to surface immediately, once the instructor noticed the two missing.

The autopsy concluded there was no water in Sri's lungs. I could say more but I won't. I was on the boat. I know when everyone surfaced. I know that particular cove well. There were no obstructions. Visibility was adequate enough to maintain the Buddy System. I had just completed a dive in this cove 10 min prior to the OW class began their descent.

Read between the lines.

If you know so much and are hiding your identity, why don't you explain it more and quit being cryptic>

Ancient thread. remove.

And here I was thinking, wow, O-Ring posting now? Then I looked at the date.

Elysiumjd, glad you finally joined us here on SB. I've seen divers leave in ambulances too many time, but they all came out ok. Just being there for that accident must have been awful. I do hope you talked it out well with friends or whomever, and if you'd like to share with us - please do so.

Read between the lines.

Thanks for reviving a dead thread, and giving such detailed information...:shakehead:
Read between the lines.

Last edited:
In defense of Randy he is an awesome instructor in my opinion and one of the most knowledgeable instructors I have met to date. He is not just a joe blow who worked his way to Course director he was actually a navy seal with quiet a colorful history. Hes been under the waves for well over 40 years and knows more about diving then alot of divers have forgotten.

In the early stages of my open water I met with some difficulties and almost gave up on diving but he cared enough to sit down with me and show me how to over come the issues I had. Its because of him that I am able to be a master diver today and working on my dive master as we speak.

This was an incident before my diving days so I have no comment to issue on it but I felt before people can freely bash him for a story that tells 1 day of his career they should know more about him and how he has made alot of divers dreams come true over the years.

Don't worry Ellis, it seems more people are more interested in noting this is a 9 year old resurrection thread with little more added info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom