Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fosterboxermom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Cayman Island has a high number of diving deaths and has been one of the hot spots to dive. But does anyone know that the dive shops operate against Port Authority and Cayman Laws stating that there should be two people on all dive boats? They say that it would make Dive Shops "Unprofitable"!! So they would rather compromise the safety of divers than loose money.

My friend died last week due to a DM's error. I will do whatever I have to to let everyone know that Cayman is unsafe to dive!!

Cayman Island has a high number of diving deaths and has been one of the hot spots to dive. But does anyone know that the dive shops operate against Port Authority and Cayman Laws stating that there should be two people on all dive boats? They say that it would make Dive Shops "Unprofitable"!! So they would rather compromise the safety of divers than loose money.

My friend died last week due to a DM's error. I will do whatever I have to to let everyone know that Cayman is unsafe to dive!!

Very sorry to hear that. I had no idea that Cayman was that reckless? Can you give any details? Very sad for your loss.:depressed:

All I can say is it was with Diver's Down in the Cayman Island. They have not released any names yet. You can google it Diver Death Cayman Island and it will come up about the "accident" but only vague information because it is still under investigation. But I did get the Autopsy results and it was not good new. He was healthy and it was the DM's fault as far as I am concerned but the court will be the deciding factor.

All I can say is it was with Diver's Down in the Cayman Island. They have not released any names yet. You can google it Diver Death Cayman Island and it will come up about the "accident" but only vague information because it is still under investigation. But I did get the Autopsy results and it was not good new. He was healthy and it was the DM's fault as far as I am concerned but the court will be the deciding factor.

Will it be tried in Cayman? Local Cayman DM? What makes you think it was DM's fault - new diver? This is indeed bad news.:depressed:

Oh, were you on that dive?

Fosterboxermom, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, no matter what the circumstances, the loss of someone dear is always a terrible thing.

.....They say that it would make Dive Shops "Unprofitable"!! So they would rather compromise the safety of divers than loose money.....

I am not familiar with the local law there, however, most businesses are not able to take losses. I am not condoning illegal and/or unsafe practices but making a loss is not a survivable option for most.

Unless you have facts, or at the very least are able to describe the incident with some detail, people on this board will probably have difficulty supporting your cause.

On the other hand, the people on this board are usually the first to "fight for a cause" when it is legitimate.

If you are able to obtain any details, please share them with us so that we too can "get the word out".

Once again, I am sorry for your loss.

Best Regards

Richard

Last edited:
If they feel they are losing money then charge an extra 10 bucks for god's sake. I do have the facts but I can't release them pending criminal charges. Take the time to look it up on the internet it is all over it. Do some research on the Caymans. I did after this happened and that is how I found out most of my information on the Laws. I can send you links but I am not sure if I can post links.

What pilot-fish said.

Regards
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom