Diver death on the Big Island...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Those fish collector's really push the limits I hear.

WOW the news realy has all the facts this time....
I have been filling tanks for bug/fish divers here in PR, they take four to five tanks a day each. One got bent bad enough to be flown out a couple of weeks ago. What they are not seeing is the long term effects. Id like to be able to, you know, walk at 50? Even whales have DCS bone trauma. These guys push it every day. Anyone know a navy diver that does not have bad knees?

one question -- freediver or scuba diver?

I'm with Wildcard... the news is REALLY vague!

This one's probably scuba. Fish collectors tend to work scuba here using a fence net and then herding a group of fish into the net and picking and choosing the ones they want with a smaller hand net.

catherine96821:
Those fish collector's really push the limits I hear.
Yeah, watched one a few years ago in Kona. We were up on a surface interval and one of these guys was tied up a little ways off. He came up, glared at us, switched tanks, and was back in the water in no more than a few minutes. Dunno how many time he repeated that.

If you look at what these guys do, what Navy divers do, what DMs/Inst do The tables are so far beyond safe it can seem silly. Then there is the one that gets bent well within the tables.

I heard that the diver was on scuba. He was found at 115 feet deep. It appeared that he was in a "working position"...in other words it didn't look like he had struggled to make it to the surface or anything. Looked like he was just in the middle of working.

If he was found underwater, it would have been a heart attack or drowning rather than DCS.

That said, though, most local trop collectors and net/trap fishermen have little use for dive tables or surface intervals. Many divers I know will burn 6 or 7 air tanks in as many hours, which is not surprising since their income depends on the number of dives they're able to do. You'd be surprised how seldom they get bent, but it definitely happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom