Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Rooster,
Know of any places up your way selling Chris Ghrol's books on Ontario Shipwrecks?

I'm TRYING to find a copy that covers A-Bay, Kingston, etc.

Amazon.com has a 4-6 wk delivery on it.

???

Anyone have a copy for sale, or know where I can find one by August 24th? be nice to have some info on WHERE these are - mooring buoy's, GPS coordinates, etc.

Originally posted by Scuba446
Hey Rooster,
Know of any places up your way selling Chris Ghrol's books on Ontario Shipwrecks?

I'm TRYING to find a copy that covers A-Bay, Kingston, etc.

Amazon.com has a 4-6 wk delivery on it.

???

Anyone have a copy for sale, or know where I can find one by August 24th? be nice to have some info on WHERE these are - mooring buoy's, GPS coordinates, etc.

I have to ask my wife, she doesnt dive but loves buying me books and she bought me one of Kohls books and I love it. My buddy has a couple also and one is awesome, I'll ask her and let you know. I know she usually gets em online at a good price.

I have been through New York a couple of times on the way out to Massachusetts to see relatives and remember driving through places like Syracuse, Rochester, and Albany but I dont remember Oneida, where is that at??

Body has been recovered.

48 yrs old

Port Bay NY

Was only diving in 20' of water.

Oneida is about 30 mins (or less) EAST of Syracuse and WEST of Rome and Utica.

PS I have checked these places for the books so far:

www.amazon.com

www.bn.com (Barnes & Noble)

www.half.com (Used books at like half the normal retail prices)

www.ebay.com (Used books)

I even e-mailed the publisher or Chris himself at Sea Wolf Books direct to order - no response.

was not what a new diver ought to have been doing at that experience level.

I'm terribly sorry for his family's loss.

As for diving solo in general:

I have a background in Marine Science, and started diving solo while doing research in college. To be honest, I prefer this mode of diving, although I did it improperly for many years and put myself at a level of risk I now consider unacceptable.

But, I now dive solo in a prudent fashion, and I love it.

On my last dive trip, back in late June, I made more dives solo than with a buddy. Those were my longest, BEST dives.

I caught grief from an Instructor at one beach site, mainly because I was setting a "bad example" (despite being properly equipped). But, I also saw four or five other divers going solo, so I bet it is more common than most folks will admit. My only concern was that several of the solo divers I saw seemed inexperienced.

And what would you say "Doing It Right" is as far a setups, experience levels, etc.

??

Originally posted by Scuba446
And what would you say "Doing It Right" is as far a setups, experience levels, etc.

??

DIR does not advocate solo diving, so there is no "Doing It Right" configuration or recommended experience level.

Yes,
I know DIR does not support it - so I'm curious what YOU use for a rig setup, redundancy, etc.

OK, I see it - but WHICH book do I want that'll cover Kingston and A-Bay, etc.
?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom