Diver died on Beaver Lake tonight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huff442

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My son and I had just suited up at the bluffs, getting ready to do a few early evening dives. I heard a diver surface and <cough>. I looked out to his location and he seemed to be ok. He descended again, then resurfaced a few seconds later. He then started swimming on his back to the shore line. His buddies surfaced and followed him in. A minute later i heard someone yell, "Diver Emergency, call 911!". I was able to run, fully geared up, back to my truck and call 911. A divemaster was on site and started CPR. After 20 minutes of CPR by the EFR's and paramedics, he was still unresponsive. Medflight arrived and started working on him in the ambulance. The entire event lasted about an hour.

Someone said the diver was diabetic. He was around 50 years old and overweight. He had around 1000psi in his tank, so its possible he had a heart attack.

My 16 year old son was pretty shaken, having seen his first dead body. But he handled the situation like soldier, retrieving tools and equipment as we needed it.

A note out there to all those consider CPR and EFR classes: have the equipment you need to handle a situation with you at all times. I was shocked at how some people there were yelling at each other looked for things they couldn't find, or didn't have. I have to wonder if this mans life could have been saved....

While it's really too early to tell what happened, I would speculate that based on what you said about a "cough" upon surfacing, that sounds like a lung expansion injury - especially with how symptoms were quick to occur.

Despite how it happened, it is sad to hear a diver died today. My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

what time was this? I was out their yesterday almost all day.

I think one valuable lesson from this incident is the OP's suggestion that we have our emergency equipment ready and available at all times, and take regular EFR/O2 refresher courses. Our own lives, or the lives of the ones we love, could depend on it.

I keep my mouthpiece for CPR in my bag. If we teach a clss my hubby always brings oxygen. If on a boat I always find out where things are right away, since I'm often the only physician.
Never had to resuscitate a diver but my husband did in a class. (cardiac,stopped breathing) vie done qutite a few "codes" at various sporting events, graduations, etc. Hatenot having even a steoscpope or o2!
glad your son did well, maybe he'll go into some kind of emergency medicine.
How is Beaver Lake? We want to move to Ok, TX or even, possibly AR. I've read a lot about that lake.
I did my lake diving mostly at Lawtonka. Was certified at Canyon Lake, TX.

Wow dealing with death is not an easy thing. I wish first and foremost it would not have happened. If there is anything good that can be said about it though the diver passed away doing something he enjoyed and apparently loved.

As for anything said previously that was negative please remember one day we all will be the one who passes and would we want people to belittle us in front of our families? Tragedy happens all the time but it should not be treated like an everyday thing. Remember somewhere there are people whos brother, father, husband, uncle, cousin, son or friend is no longer calling them or planning outings and someone sleeps alone now.

May God bless the family and the one who passed away

I keep my mouthpiece for CPR in my bag. If we teach a clss my hubby always brings oxygen. If on a boat I always find out where things are right away, since I'm often the only physician.
Never had to resuscitate a diver but my husband did in a class. (cardiac,stopped breathing) vie done qutite a few "codes" at various sporting events, graduations, etc. Hatenot having even a steoscpope or o2!
glad your son did well, maybe he'll go into some kind of emergency medicine.
How is Beaver Lake? We want to move to Ok, TX or even, possibly AR. I've read a lot about that lake.
I did my lake diving mostly at Lawtonka. Was certified at Canyon Lake, TX.

My family and I move to Iowa for three years, only to realize how much we missed this area of Arkansas. We moved back last year. Beaver Lake has so much to offer: warm water, steep rocks bluffs, large fish and turtles, and a good local dive shop very close. My son and I dive there every Friday and Saturday. We'll dive on Sunday if I don't have to fly out Monday morning. Come check it out. If you like fresh water lakes, you'll love Beaver!

what time was this? I was out their yesterday almost all day.

We arrived at the lake around 7:00pm. I made the 911 call at 7:39pm. We were out there assisting till almost 10:00pm. It was a tough night. I was afraid my son wasn't going to dive again. He told his mother on the phone that he didn't want to get back into the water. I reminded him that this wasn't solely a dive incident, and the diver had medical complications. He decided to go back Saturday morning, and we dove till almost dark. He's a trooper....

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

As a reminder...

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.

It is important for us as a community to assess and discuss diving accidents and incidents as a means of preventing them. However, once emotions are involved, intelligent discussion becomes next to impossible. If the moderators feel that the discussion is getting out of hand in any thread they may close or remove the thread, with or without notice.

In accordance with this I've removed a few posts. In addition a few posters are close to having their privilege to participate in this thread revoked. Please act accordingly and in keeping with the rules listed above.

....A minute later i heard someone yell, "Diver Emergency, call 911!". I was able to run, fully geared up, back to my truck and call 911. A divemaster was on site and started CPR. After 20 minutes of CPR by the EFR's and paramedics, he was still unresponsive. Medflight arrived and started working on him in the ambulance. The entire event lasted about an hour....

This is the exact reason I ALWAYS have an automatic external defibrillator and 2 tanks of oxygen with me 100% of time. (CPR just buys a little time and is frequently performed improperly)

Many think it overkill; I have watched people die awaiting an AED and O2...I vowed that this won't happen again in my presence.

The reply to the OP that included 'blaming' comments about diabetes and obesity are premature and presumptive. That poster may consider an edit.

Back
Top Bottom