Diver dies after being rescued in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that is what at least one operator did in this case, and I am sure he is very relieved at his prudent decision which will reinforce making similar decisions in the future. The operator who did not consider the risk now has to deal with the consequences of this tragedy.

Yes I agree, there is always a way.

My question remains (playing devils advocate). To what lengths should I need to go, in order to accommodate a minority? Do I need to invest in extra safety equipment, do I have to buy extra large BCD's?

Or can I just say no as the $80 I'm going to get from someone fir a trip isn't worth the extra hassle and expense and let them take their custom elsewhere?
If you choose to rent equipment you shouldn't be forced to carry any sizes or styles that aren't profitable for you to carry. I know that I usually can not rent wetsuits because hardly anyone carries a XXXL wetsuit as a rental but an XL BCD I can rent anywhere. However on a boat you could go the rout of the airlines and say that if you don't fit within a certain size seat you have to pay for two spots making it possible to bring an extra crew member for lift assistance if it's required. Also if the person does not appear to be healthy enough to dive ie. out of breath walking into the shop then you can refuse service without it being discriminatory as they aren't fit enough for the activity. There are skinny people that drop dead every day from heart attacks and other health issues that are often associated with being obese so physical appearance shouldn't be a defining characteristic for refusal of service in my opinion but then again I don't run a dive boat so it's just an opinion.

I'll dive with obese people. I've got no qualms about that. I've already made my peace with the fact that the buddy system fails far too often. I'll just carry my pony. It's great that they're getting into the water. Can't think of a better way to get active and lose weight than swimming.

Without being there, can't comment on whether or not it was a heart attack or what without the autopsy results.

That BMI calculator only works for normal shaped people. I'm built more like a big ole Viking. I'd be a Clydesdale if was a horse. Completely lean I'd be around 215@6'3, no way in heck I could get down below 200 without losing a ton of muscle mass or being really, really sick.

I'm at a BMI of 31 right now. And I know I need to lose 25-30 pounds before getting more serious about diving. Yeah my legs are strong, so's my back and everything else. But if I trip and get a sore knee because of my weight, then all the strength in the world can't make up for pure knee pain in the water. Knee pain sucks for diving. When it's gone, I can out swim anyone, but when it's there, I'm just on an elevator ride.

Plenty of ways to fix my knees. But step one is to lose 25 -30 pounds. Might not need much work after that. Since I have a ton of muscle, it's very easy to lose weight. Average around 2000 calories per day and hardly any more exercise than my day job, and I melt quickly. Not a big deal, I'm already down 10, but going to bed hungry every night (even though I'm fed and full), isn't much fun.

I'll dive with obese people. I've got no qualms about that. I've already made my peace with the fact that the buddy system fails far too often. I'll just carry my pony. It's great that they're getting into the water. Can't think of a better way to get active and lose weight than swimming.
To that point, I was 400lbs when I took OW class. A few years later I've lost just over 100lbs. Diving had a lot to do with it.

I'm glad I was never turned away from a boat. I've also been not the largest guy on the boat many times (especially since I've lost some weight).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom