Diver dies after being rescued in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver did not get in trouble upon entering the water as reported. Diver was tremendously overweight and out of shape. It was the Emerald, maybe they will fill in the blanks.

Telling us what DID NOT happen implies that you know what DID happen...So what happened?

People often like to point fingers at a dive boat captain after an accident, but once somebody jumps off the boat and enters the ocean, the captain can only do "so much". I still have zero knowledge of what did happen.

No blame on the Captain. Just saying I see a lot of people who are just grossly overweight scuba diving. Hard to believe people who want to scuba dive take so little care of themselves. The sport can have physical demands these folks just aren't ready.

That's kind of the question though - on the one hand you have a diver who is reported at 400 pounds, which reflexively brings up the "grossly overweight and out of shape" judgement from commentators.

Then you have this story from the local Tom's River, NJ paper which describes him as a volunteer firefighter, EMT, and member of the search-and-rescue dive squad: Beloved EMT, Firefighter From Ocean County Dies In Florida Diving Accident

It's even hard to tell from pictures of Mr Ley whether he was really out of shape or not.... there are Powerlifters, who to the naked eye look out of shape and obese, that weigh 300 + pounds but are actually incredibly strong and have huge muscles, though they carry some extra fat too. Google strongman deadlifting and you'll see guys deadlifting 900, 1000, 1100 pounds. or . Offensive lineman can be similar. Anyway, hard to tell if this poor fellow was one like that or just out of shape. Regardless, lifting a limp body that weighs 300 or 400 hundred pounds (whether from muscle, fat or both) back into a boat would be difficult since the dive boats don't give someone on board like the DM or captain much leverage with lifting anything back on.

It is a really sad situation, but like a lot of activities that carry extra risk, reminds us that we are all responsible for assessing our own fitness for the activity and the situation at the time. If doesn't work out, it really isn't anyone else's fault.

400 lbs is huge, but it is possible that a person could have some level of fitness at that weight. Obviously the deceased was "over weight", but when I see a boat load of typical, recreational scuba divers head offshore, they look a lot more like "bowlers" than triathletes.

Once in the water, the excess mass is much less of a hindrance and large, active people often have incredibly strong legs, so their ability to swim and kick might be better than some sedentary individuals. Plus they don't need a whole lot of exposure protection in moderate temperatures, which is a small advantage.

Getting up the ladder would definitely be the biggest challenge.

Brian Shaw
Residence Fort Lupton, Colorado, United States
Occupation Strongman
Height 203 cm (6 ft 8 in)
Weight 190 kg (420 lb)

Of course it takes a certain level of strength to manage body mass.

Remember too though that muscle and strong does not necessarily mean fit. In fact, depending on how the size was acheived, body building may actually be counterproductive to health and wellness.

uncfnp: you're absolutely correct. Brian Shaw has indicated in interviews that he does light cardio and wishes sanctioning bodies tested for steroid use. For some fun videos on different types of fitness google strongest man vs. fittest man which pit Shaw against the current Crossfit champion in friendly competitios

uncfnp: you're absolutely correct. Brian Shaw has indicated in interviews that he does light cardio and wishes sanctioning bodies tested for steroid use. For some fun videos on different types of fitness google strongest man vs. fittest man which pit Shaw against the current Crossfit champion in friendly competitios

Ok guys, I'll give you that one but in my admittedly limited experience Shaw's the exception not the norm. Guys into lifting weights just don't seem to find the same attraction to cardio. I've seen it in the gym (one of the amateur bodybuilders had an MI in his 30's) and at work. Even in my own home its easier to get a ball to roll uphill then to get my partner on the spin bike or elliptical. But lift? No problem.

Don't know about firefighters but I can tell you from doing preemployment exams, being a police officer is no guarantee of physical fitness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom