Diver dies after being rescued in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. One would think they would teach/practice doffing a victim's gear in water. Maybe the instruction is different based on the type of diving you're doing (Shore/Boat). Now I'm curious if there is a standard.
I could understand removing the tank and lead next to the boat before attempting to bring the ailing diver on board but I think leaving the bc in place might be prudent since that is the only flotation keeping the airway above water. Lifting an unresponsive person is a real chore.

Total speculation. He felt sea sick and everyone said go in the water and he would feel better. He went in and got worse for whatever reason at that point. He may not have been conscious when the boat tried to pick him up and in 8 foot swells they chose not to take off his bcd.

Total speculation. He felt sea sick and everyone said go in the water and he would feel better. He went in and got worse for whatever reason at that point. He may not have been conscious when the boat tried to pick him up and in 8 foot swells they chose not to take off his bcd.

It happened to me in similar situation in Key Largo. I was sea sick from the swell, the skipper told me to put my gear on quickly & jump into the water. I did feel better down there afterwards. However, I doubt anyone in the boat would suggest that to a 400lb guy. If I were him, I would not listen to such suggestion, doff my gear & may just lay down on the deck.

Rescue diver teaching is to remove all gear by the time the victim is at the boat. Teaching recovering a diver from the water onto the boat and or shore is also taught.

Do you have some reason to believe that the fact that you believe him out of shape played a role? Please elaborate.
Google images has photos of this person. His name is on a link in this thread. Out of shape would be a kind description. Medically speaking he was morbidly obese. Sad for the man's family and friends. RIP

4 Reasons Divers Die

"...Almost any pre-existing medical condition or health factor can affect a diver's safety. Common examples include obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, breathing difficulties (temporary or chronic), a general lack of fitness, pre-existing injuries and dehydration. The biggest contributing factor-cited in 74 percent of the fatal cases covered by the study-involved divers with a body mass index in the overweight, obese or morbidly obese categories. And approximately 15 percent of fatalities examined by the study involved people who were known to have high blood pressure or heart disease...."

When I did rescue it was taking to shore. However, we removed the gear in the water before taking up on shore. That last step involved taking the 200 plus pound diver up over a number of barely submerged rocks while also doing artificial respiration. Had a number of bruises on shins etc for the following couple of weeks.

When I did rescue it was taking to shore. However, we removed the gear in the water before taking up on shore. That last step involved taking the 200 plus pound diver up over a number of barely submerged rocks while also doing artificial respiration. Had a number of bruises on shins etc for the following couple of weeks.
Now that you mentioned it this is how we did it as well. Took off gear in very shallow water and then took diver on shore.

I can say from experience that getting on Emeralds boat in 5 to 8 foot seas is a challenge for just about anyone. I can't imagine how much harder a rescue would a person, especially a 400lb person.

If it was the standard dive on Emerald, everyone lines up and they are told go go go. Then everyone quickly gets in the water and drops down as soon as your in, getting down to 80 feet as quickly as possible due to the current. If this occurred and he didnt descend he would have been most likely by himself and there wouldn't be anyone extra to help the captain and deck hand. This could explain the 30 mins delay.

I was not there so I am speculating. Maybe some else that had a friend on that day has more information.

Back
Top Bottom