Diver dies in Manatee Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a quick search, are there manatees in the spring? If so, how do they get there?
there are manatees that migrate up from the gulf to the spring run in winter/cold weather

they usually don't go in the cave

After a quick search, are there manatees in the spring? If so, how do they get there? Terrible tragedy.

The main spring has a short run that empty’s directly into the Suwannee River. Manatees swim up the run during cold weather to stay warm in the constant 72 oF water.

Heard second hand that the body has been recovered. Thoughts and prayers to family, friends, and those involved in the recovery.

Harry was warning about the changes to the head spring exit over a year ago.
Cave Diver Harry

I haven't been to Manatee since before the rock slide, does anyone know if Parks had warning signs about this restriction?

Harry was warning about the changes to the head spring exit over a year ago.
Cave Diver Harry

I haven't been to Manatee since before the rock slide, does anyone know if Parks had warning signs about this restriction?

Not that I know of. I was just telling friends that I'm not surprised because it seems like it was barely put out there about the worsening of the restriction. None of my buddies had heard of it. I was the only one. And then on cdf it seemed most hadn't heard about it either. We were having a discussion on how the park would let people know.

Wow, I just read about a divers previous experience at that exit and how tight and fast it was. That sounds horrible. Condolences to the husband and family.

Manatee Springs State Park cave diving traverse from catfish hotel to manatee head spring video

Have done the traverse from catfish to the head spring many times. Not in the last 2 years. It is an extreme siphon tunnel about 800 feet long. It was and is a one way ticket. Even with a scooter, you may not be able to get back to catfish basin. If you should be able to grab a fallen tree at the exit, if you turn your head, the flow will rip your mask off. Multiple open water diver fatalities there in the past. The tunnel is well marked to stay out before you reach the point of no return. I’m sorry for the loss to family and dive team.

Update from the sheriff’s dept.

D05E3141-F970-4AD0-BECF-78761934A617.png

Back
Top Bottom