Diver Down Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to dive some lakes in CT so I ordered a Diver Down Flag on an inflatable buoy. When it arrived, the flag seemed fairly small, so I checked the CT DEP regs. The flag requirement is 13" high by 15" long. The one I received is 7.5" x 7.5". Anyone know if the small size is because different states have different regs? Thanks.

Here is a link you can check out, has laws for each state listed. Of course you will want to verify this information but it looks like what you are looking for:

Dive Flag Law

I'm kind of curious what lakes are worth diving in CT.....

I'm kind of wondering why this is not in the Dive Flag section right above us....

DiverGuam:
Thanks for pointing that out; I missed it.

wspalding:
I have dived in Bigelow Hollow State Park lake in the northeast area of the state. I will be diving in West Hill Lake in New Hartford. Whether or not they are worth diving would be an individual assessment. When I dived Bigelow, there wasn't much to see. The visibility in West Hill is supposed to be good (25'), but I don't expect to see much there either. My goal when I go to those lakes is to practice dive skills in general, and to become familiar with any new gear I may have. I will probably be getting a pony setup in the near future. Instead of waiting until I'm doing a wreck dive to 90', I want to be familiar with the gear and setup.

If you do a search for West Hill Lake within ScubaBoard, I think you'll find some info that will be more descript than mine.

DiverGuam:
Thanks for pointing that out; I missed it.

wspalding:
I have dived in Bigelow Hollow State Park lake in the northeast area of the state. I will be diving in West Hill Lake in New Hartford. Whether or not they are worth diving would be an individual assessment. When I dived Bigelow, there wasn't much to see. The visibility in West Hill is supposed to be good (25'), but I don't expect to see much there either. My goal when I go to those lakes is to practice dive skills in general, and to become familiar with any new gear I may have. I will probably be getting a pony setup in the near future. Instead of waiting until I'm doing a wreck dive to 90', I want to be familiar with the gear and setup.

If you do a search for West Hill Lake within ScubaBoard, I think you'll find some info that will be more descript than mine.

Cool, thanks! My son is a new diver and I am looking for places to take him practice his skills. He will be doing finishing his OW cert next week in Palm Beach, but it would be a long time before he dives again if we don't find some local dive spots.

Bigelow Hollow is a good place to practice skills, there are definitely no distractions. I have solo dived there for that specific purpose. The viz isn't bad, but the bottom silt can kick up and cause some temporary havoc, especially if there is a class.

Make sure you take a wagon or a Sherpa, it's a long walk from the parking lot to the dive area, especially with tanks and weights.

IMHO, I don't think anyone is going to be checking flags at a place like that.

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2014 at 08:01 PM ----------

Cool, thanks! My son is a new diver and I am looking for places to take him practice his skills. He will be doing finishing his OW cert next week in Palm Beach, but it would be a long time before he dives again if we don't find some local dive spots.

There is some decent diving at Wallum Lake in Douglas. We used to do OW checkout dives there. If you park near the bath house near the end of the beach, you can walk about 50 yards out to the point. You can down to about 30' not too far from shore.

I bought a cart at Cabelas a few years ago that is meant for hauling deer out of the woods. It's wide, so it can fit 2 tanks side by side. Throw some straps around it and you'll be a happy guy at Bigelow.

I'm going to dive some lakes in CT so I ordered a Diver Down Flag on an inflatable buoy. When it arrived, the flag seemed fairly small, so I checked the CT DEP regs. The flag requirement is 13" high by 15" long. The one I received is 7.5" x 7.5". Anyone know if the small size is because different states have different regs? Thanks.

I would not dive with the flag you received... Too small. There might not be anyone checking flags at Bigelow Hollow but for your safety I would get a larger flag closer to regulation size. There can be boat traffic there (as well as other places you may dive) and if you get into a boat lane or out in the middle, I'd rather have my flag more noticeable. It's tough enough to get boaters to notice and respect a dive flag that is regulation size, never mind one that is 7.5"...

My 2¢.

I suggest you exercise extra caution on lakes when boats may be in the area. I dive close to shore and close to my flag. In CT boats are to keep 100' away and the diver needs to keep within 50' of the flag. My experience though with boaters on lakes is that they are not the most experienced and knowledgeable boaters.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom