Diver Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just received Divers Down from Amazon today. Read the first story so far and learned why the Hog set up w/ the octo right up on the neck is so important. Looking forward to the rest of the book.

Yeah, its not a feel good book, but extremely helpful information to keep your awarness level up.

VERY much not a feel good book, but one of the first we bought as newbie divers. My wife is reading The Certified Diver's Handbook: The Complete Guide to Your Own Underwater Adventures, which to my newbie mind is one hell of a good book! The author is also humorous and not overly preachy.

VERY much not a feel good book, but one of the first we bought as newbie divers. My wife is reading The Certified Diver's Handbook: The Complete Guide to Your Own Underwater Adventures, which to my newbie mind is one hell of a good book! The author is also humorous and not overly preachy.

It's funny you say that as I debate recommending the book to new divers fearfull of their reaction. On one hand, a diver educated with other's mistakes will no doubt be a safer diver as a consequence. On the other hand, exposing new divers to such stories may scare them away from a sport they otherwise would have enjoyed for a lifetime. Thought?

I read this book over the Xmas holidays. I think it should be mandatory reading for every new diver. As one (a new diver that is) I feel it's helped reinforce the need for planning, safety and redundancy when diving. If anything, it certainly instills a sense of respect for this sport and makes you be aware of yourself, your surroundings and your situation.

Cheers!

I purchased this book straight out of OW cert based on recommendations I'd seen on SB. Having read it, I think it should be mandatory reading for all divers during certification. It's a sobering read, but it did a better job of reminding me that I'm not invincible than any OOA simulation could have.

I found it to be THE most useful book on diving I've ever seen (and I'm fairly certain I've seen most of them, if not all). Period.

Personally, I think it's a must read for any diver.

BTW, I stupidly ordered a second copy from Amazon and waited too long to return it....... so, if you're in the Ottawa (Canada) area & want a free copy PM me - first come, first served.

Be aware that if you read Scuba Diving Magazine's "Lessons for Life", either on their website or in the hard copy, most of the accidents in the book are also covered there, although the book goes into a bit more detail.

As the author I really appreciate the comments on the book here. I did want to let you know however that I no longer write the "Lessons for Life" column in SCUBA Diving Magazine. I refused the contract offer from the new publisher because of a number of concerns and my last column there appeared in March of 09.

However, you can still see my original column at this link Seaduction.com or by hitting the Diver Down tag in the menu bar from the home page of SEAduction.com.

Safe Diving,

It's funny you say that as I debate recommending the book to new divers fearfull of their reaction. On one hand, a diver educated with other's mistakes will no doubt be a safer diver as a consequence. On the other hand, exposing new divers to such stories may scare them away from a sport they otherwise would have enjoyed for a lifetime. Thought?

I have read the book, and it is educational, but not for new divers. It shows that darwin will get you if you do stupid stuff , long enough. Great for more advanced divers. Dont want to scare the new divers too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom