Diver drifts 3 miles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a day it's not any fun to be diving. Go to the movies.

HEy I recall Myself, You and Marvel going to the movies on just such a day. Did we see the first Pirates of the Carribean? I forget what the movie was...

The second one and you, my smart assed friend, made a comment at the ticket booth that was pretty funny. That was just prior to the first ITK.

Gosh Crd Kats sorry if I offended or disappointed, but no, even though we are from PA, we really can't empathize with a diver who actually misses the line. Sorry. We dive the Keys a lot, in fact we are there this week, and of course we respect the conditions and observe the briefings, but again, ultimately the responsibility for being a safe and prudent diver lies with the diver, not the boat, captain or anyone else. Take responsibility for yourself and don't assume others are going to save you!

You've made some misconceptions regarding my post. I was not offended or disappointed. Just surprised a dive op wouldn't feel compassion or empathy for a diver who made a mistake or had an accident. Haven't you ever made a mistake or had an accident? Ever?

As for taking responsibility and assuming others will save me, I'm assuming you're making a general statement here regarding all divers and say, I'm pretty sure most divers do. First rule of rescue is self rescue, however, we're human and as much as we aspire to be perfect or as near it as we can, schit happens.

Hope you had a good time in the Keys.

Been there done that, twice. First time I was a dumb ass diving from my own anchored boat with an idiot left on board to move the boat if necessary but he did not know how to operate a boat as he claimed, and second time just got caught in one of those really weird currents that come up and off the wall in various places along the walls of Palau. Yep, no need to hold back, I'm a dumb ass too sometimes. The time in Palau a sausage would not have saved me - I was too far away and there was only one boat on the horizon (about 15 Pacific Greys were circling me with ever increasing scrutiny, so I REALLY wanted that boat to see me). A mirror reflecting light from the sun, flashed in the direction of a boat or airplane, can be seen for many miles, and that's why I didn't take the long slow drift over to the Philippines). Dirt cheap item to have in your vest, but it does not generate any profit for a dive shop, so dive industry doesn't seem to give them them lip service they deserve. Personally, I think a supplied-air horn, a sausage, and a mirror should be required on all drift dives. And yes, with current like that, the dive should have been a drift dive -- every dive should have a "Plan B" dive if the conditions are not right at the primary dive location. But hey, I am older than King Tut and dumber than dirt, and that's just my opinion, so please don't anybody sue me.

Rainbow Reef top notch. I love that Key Largo helps when someone is in trouble. This is my favorite place to dive. I have met that Captain at RR he is very good and very safety oriented. Great Job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom