Diver drowns on the Jodrey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I just recently met the divers sister in Bishop, Ca. prior to the accident. Our condolences go out to the family and all his friends in Bishop. A small community always remembers their loved ones.

you may be making a mistake there.

I am not sure what the point of this reply was but it added no value to this thread. If you are stating that this forum is not to discuss accidents in a constructive manner to attempt to learn from other's misfortune, then I am eager to hear what you believe we should be adding in this forum.

My sincerest condolences go out to the family and friends of Lawrence.

This I know is actual fact - This gentleman owns and operates a shop and actually has his own recompression chamber right there on site, literally 5-10 minutes away.... His insurance company forced him to make it non-functional so that he could never use it, for liability reasons.
Talk about irony...

My condolences. Always a saddening thing to hear of in this venue...

This is second hand information - According to a long time dive shop owner located in Alexandria Bay, the diver was alive after they pulled him from the water. He "embolized" and needed a recompression chamber. The nearest chamber is in Buffalo, NY which is hours away.

This I know is actual fact - This gentleman owns and operates a shop and actually has his own recompression chamber right there on site, literally 5-10 minutes away.... His insurance company forced him to make it non-functional so that he could never use it, for liability reasons.

Whatever happened, my sincerest regrets go out to the family. He will be missed.

Only thing true of this above is the guy owns and operates a shop between clayton and a bay. i know who you are talking about. The chamber is functional and is not 10 minutes away. It is in Watertown, 25 minutes away. They aquired the chamber due to the amount of commercial work they were doing and still are. The diver did indeed embolize.

Watertown Daily Times | Diver apparently drowns while exploring shipwreck

We were diving in Brockville, Ontario this weekend. The victim was a rebreather diver from New Jersey who died while completing his dive on the Jodrey, a technical wreck, on Friday. I didn't ask what type of rebreather. I was told that the buddy saw the victim looking stressed and he switched to the bailout bottle. He had half an hour of deco left. He then made a beeline for the surface and was seen making a polaris 2 feet out of the water.

I was told that he was probably dead by the time he hit the surface and it seemed to be a heart attack. I asked if it could have been the wrong gas/something to do with the rebreather since he switched to the bailout, but I was told no, it was a heart attack.

My condolences to his family and all those around him.

First off, what the hell is the need to talk about this if you don't have your facts straight. How my father died doesn't need open discussion if you don't understand what happened yourself. If you wanted to know read the god damn paper don't just speculate. Also a 2 foot Polaris. I hope you know that, that is idiotic. Yes it is possible, though likely no. Just get your damn facts straight.

My deepest sympathies go to his family and close friends. I dove with Larry several times here in New Jersey and in the St. Lawrence Seaway/Lake Ontario area, but haven't seen him for about a year. This was truly a shock. This is very sad.

You probably won't ever see this but I am his son. Thank you for your condolences.

What I stated was what was told to me by an eyewitness from ABOVE the water. He saw the victim break the surface up to his waist. I actually minimized the description by stating only 2 feet to account for possible exaggeration.

The events leading up to the switch to the bailout bottle were as relayed to him after the dive. I was never told that the victim had a runaway ascent. The witness said that he "made a beeline for the surface", which is why I wrote that. I simply paraphrased. It is apparently all on the police report.

I believe the point of this board is to discuss accidents as openly as possible. Without all of the information, it is very difficult to learn from what happened and how to avoid it.

Again, my condolences to his family and friends.

Adding my condolences to the end doesn't mean **** if you don't mean it. Oh and yes I can read and understand what you said was incredibly misguided.

My wife and I just recently met the divers sister in Bishop, Ca. prior to the accident. Our condolences go out to the family and all his friends in Bishop. A small community always remembers their loved ones.

Thank you. It means a lot to my family, even now.

You probably won't ever see this but I am his son. Thank you for your condolences.
My sincerest condolences. I cannot even imagine how difficult this time is for you and your family. Prayers for everyone's healing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom