Diver-friendly recompression chambers are closing down regularly. Hardest-hit is FL.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Courtesy of Undercurrent & DocVikingo.

“The Disappearing Recompression Chamber--there are more than ever, but fewer are for divers

from the September, 2013 issue of Undercurrent

Undercurrent reader Michael Marmesh (Miami, FL) was aghast to hear that there's no recompression chamber for divers in Miami any longer. That doesn't mean it has closed down. It just means that the chamber, located at Mercy Hospital, just isn't available to injured divers any more.

"As a lifelong scuba diver, I am disturbed," he wrote (and cc'ed us) in a letter to Miami Herald reporter Susan Cocking. "I had reason to consult with them three years ago after a 90-foot night dive. My right leg had been completely numb for half an hour, but the doctor was very helpful and reassuring. Turned out to be a pinched nerve and not a bends hit. Still, the resource needs to be available locally."

Unfortunately, that probably won't happen in the near future. Diver-friendly recompression chambers are closing down in the U.S. on a regular basis. The hardest-hit area is Florida. The Divers Alert Network (DAN) says seven facilities in the last three years have become unavailable for the treatment of decompression sickness (DCS). Cocking tells us that she only found out about the Miami chamber shutdown when a friend of hers got bent and had to be evacuated to the Florida Keys for recompression. "The doctors told us at the time that the only recompression chambers in Florida are in the Keys, Orlando and West Palm Beach."

Ironically, there has been a huge increase in the number of recompression chambers in the U.S. over the past decade, both in hospitals and as stand-alone clinics. Dick Clarke, president of the National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology, says the number of chambers has risen from 200 ten years ago to more than 1,400 today. "The problem for divers is most of that increase is related to a business model designed to maximize profits and minimize expenses." Treating divers for DCS is not part of that model.

Besides treating DCS, recompression chambers are also used for wound healing and treating chronic diseases. Most of those treatments are classified as hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT). "The difference is most HBOT treatments can be run like an industrial factory line," says Mauricio Moreno, founder of SSS Recompression Networks, which runs a dozen chambers in dive destinations worldwide. "You can schedule them easily, and run the treatments either with nurses or physician assistants. DCS treatments are different. Patients come in on an emergency basis, and treatments require a board-certified doctor and internist. The cost of having them on standby for a chamber that is not regularly used for DCS is huge." What's more, those costs are not reimbursed easily. Insurance and Medicare reimbursements for HBOT treatments are low, and DCS treatments are placed in that category. "The payout is low so the chambers lose a lot of money," says Moreno. That's why chamber operators see that service as red ink."

In the past, most U.S. chambers were available on a 24/7 basis. But because they were losing money, many operators decided to limit hours or just shut down. These days, the majority of chambers are available only to outpatients, typically those needing wound therapy, and operate weekdays during normal business hours. "Most dive accidents occur on the weekends," says Clarke. "Chambers have no interest in treating divers, because divers simply get bent at the wrong time of day and night. That has become a national crisis. An increasing number of divers go without HBOT and suffer the long-term medical consequences."

Clarke also runs National Baromedical Services, a hyperbaric medicine consulting firm for hospitals, in Columbia, SC. It's affiliated with the University of South Carolina's medical center, which has a 24/7 recompression chamber. Now it's the go-to chamber for Charlotte, NC, which lost its sole 24/7 chamber. "Atlanta has four million people, and it used to have two 24/7 recompression chambers in hospitals. Today, there are 14 HBOT programs in hospitals but none are available 24/7."

The situation is better overseas. As with much of healthcare, Americans can find it cheaper and more efficiently overseas than they can in the U.S. Same goes for recompression chambers, says Clarke. "The international ones run 24/7, and they're in places where most divers go to dive, because they were put there to treat divers. But in some cases, these chambers struggle to maintain high levels of clinical and operational capabilities."

Still, it's not uncommon for overseas chambers to have disputes with the insurance companies about reimbursement. Ten of them, led by Moreno's SSS Recompression Networks, got into it with DAN America back in March 2006. They issued a press release stating they would not take DAN America's insurance at their chambers, most in popular dive sites like the Bahamas, Belize, Cozumel and the Galapagos, and the policyholders would have to pay their costs out of pocket. The reason was due to unpaid medical claims, some dating back two years, causing some chambers to consider closing down. Moreno led a lawsuit against DAN America in U.S. federal court. DAN's response was, "It is [our] view that reasonable and customary means the usual charges of similar chambers. It is the view of Mr. Moreno that reasonable and customary means what the chamber charges, even if the charges are significantly higher than charges of other similar chambers." Yet a month later, the two parties reached a confidential settlement over the billing practices, and SSS's chambers announced they would accept DAN America insurance again.

But today, Moreno is still critical of DAN and what it's doing in the wake of constant shutdowns of DCS treatments at U.S. chambers. "DAN is supposed to be monitoring and leading the charge. What are they doing to convince local hospitals not to close their chambers to divers? What are they doing with their money? This issue is right on their doorstep, but DAN is not doing much about it."

We asked DAN for its take. "DAN does everything possible to ensure U.S. chambers are available to divers," DAN spokeswoman Rachelle Deal wrote in an e-mail. "We also maintain a database of all chambers available to treat injured divers, and have programs which allow chambers to become part of DAN's preferred provider network. As part of DAN's mission, we regularly review and consider new programs as circumstances change. Our goal is to make sure injured divers have access to: 1) quality medical care which allows for evaluation of a diving injury; 2) appropriate medical facilities which are operated in a safe, efficient and cost-effective way; and 3) the best treatment available in a given region or territory."

In the meantime, what can divers do? Always buy policies for travel medical insurance and emergency assistance when you're diving abroad. If you are on Medicare, you must have a supplemental policy that provides foreign medical coverage. "It's imperative that you're covered for medical accidents when you travel internationally," says Clarke. "From time to time, some insurance-lacking divers treated in remote areas who can't pay the bill are prevented from leaving the country until someone can pay up. Sometimes passports are removed until they can pay. So have some form of insurance that covers dive-related accidents, and always read the policy to see how you're covered.

As for keeping U.S. chambers open to divers, Clarke doesn't have any good advice. "There have been some initiatives by local diving groups and local chambers to try and stem the tide of disappearing 24/7 programs, but I don't know of any that have been successful. It's a huge financial barrier for chambers. But for divers and others who need this type of emergency treatment, it is a national crisis."

-- Vanessa Richardson”

Dear Readers:

IAPM Chamber

It is an interesting article that was passed along by Dr Vikingo concerning chambers. Having had a chamber that was used for research and treatment when I was at the Institute of Applied Physiology and Medicine in Seattle, I am acquainted with some the problems discussed.

We used ourchamber primarily for wound healing and not diver injuries; the DAN chamber in the Northwest was at the nearby Virginia Mason Hospital. We did animal research (e.g., pregnancy and diving) and also for the testing and development of the PADI Recreational Dive Planner.

Diver Injuries

It is true that dive injuries come at all hours of the day and night. They cannot be scheduled and the chamber crew allotted in an economical fashion. Chambers are expensive to operate. Divers are often uninsured and no fees can be collected. Hospital chambers are hesitant to get into something that can lead to a financial black hole. I know of one chamber that needed to go to a saturation mode for treatment for 5 days and the fees were killing for the hospital. There was no way they could collect the more than$100,000 [and this was more than 30 years ago!]

Treatment Tables

Manytimes, it is necessary to treat an injured diver at 6 ATA of pressure. Hospital chambers cannot reach such pressures since they are designed for wound healing etc. at 3 ATA. Thus treatment for arterial gas embolism [6 ATA needed] is not adequately addressed.

Were DAN to assemble and staff a diver treatment chamber, they would quickly recognize that the financial situation is out of control. DAN knows this already is probably one reason why they do not have their own chambers in Florida.

I do not have a solution – nor currently does anyone else. :confused:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Last edited:
It's true that the situation is somewhat better outside the US in regard to chamber access--that is, the chambers have not switched entirely away from emergency care for divers. Certainly this has something to do with the bloated cost of medical care in the US, meaning that with the more reasonable costs in other parts of the world, hospitals can afford to have doctors, dive medical technicians, and nursing staff on call 24/7 for chamber duty.

However, there are other issues here in paradise. For one thing, many of the dive destinations that avid divers seek out are remote and nowhere near a chamber. Places like Raja Ampat and other Pacific Ocean islands spring to mind. I happen to live and work at a dive destination which is fortunate to have three recompression chambers available to divers 24/7, including one SSS chamber, but even so, for divers injured at any of the other islands nearby such as the famous Similan Islands National Park, we need to evacuate the victims and bring them here to Phuket in much the same way the Miami diver mentioned in the opening post had to be evacuated to the Keys. Frankly, the complaint that there are "only" three recompression chambers in Florida available to divers sounds like "crying on a full belly" to me.

Furthermore, there are dive destinations outside the US where chambers exist in theory but where there are no qualified staff to run them. The premier dive destination of Brazil, for example, has a chamber, but it's not available due to lack of staff and subsequent upkeep. This is not an isolated circumstance. For anybody who really wants a chamber available 24/7 when they are diving in remote areas, I know of a dive boat for sale that has its own chamber installed on board.

Some places require marine / park/ chamber fees in addition to proof of insurance to support a base revenue stream. Other places do fundraisers. Insurance is useless if there is no network of providers.

Whatever the solution, DAN needs to take the leadership and make it happen. I expect higher premium as a result but accept that as the cost of having the safety net available.

In my experience, it is also a liability issue for hospitals who do not have physicians and staff knowledgable in the treatment of diving injuries. For instance, when I lived in Arizona a person was admitted to a local hospital with DCS - the attending physician had to receive instructions from the DAN physician to treat the patient. A week after this incident, and a week before my own, the hospital barred diving emergencies, diverting all incoming patients to Phoenix (and now the only re-compression facility in Arizona).

As someone going through the process to become a chamber operator, I was amazed to learn 9/10+ chambers operate exactly how the article suggests nearly word-for-word. It makes me wonder when the cost of facilitating a network of recompression chambers compares to the cost of ground/air IFT's - and how those costs will be extended to us divers through our insurance policies...either way, it doesn't look good!

As a side note: I understand many commercial operations are required to have a chamber and associated operator on site. I wonder if contracting out to these companies is out of the realm of possibility - perhaps with centralized medical direction?

This issue also causes a lot of consternation among the facilities that still DO take emergencies. And I agree with Pocky above - the majority of hyperbaric facilities, even the ones that are physically located in a hospital, do not have the staffing, training, or equipment to deal with emergencies or critically ill patients. There are several hospitals around us with hyperbaric facilities, but they operate strictly 8-5 and do not treat emergencies or inpatients. Any inpatient in any hospital in the greater Raleigh-Durham area who needs hyperbaric oxygen is transferred to us.

As a side note: I understand many commercial operations are required to have a chamber and associated operator on site. I wonder if contracting out to these companies is out of the realm of possibility - perhaps with centralized medical direction?

doubt it.

as explained by my neighbor, capt' of the local water search and rescue team, they are required to have them on site _and available for the commercial divers on site_. if they brought in a rec scuba case, any commercial diving would have to be ceased immediately and throughout the ride. there would also be massive liability issues to work out, as the commercial dive op's insurance rider would not extend to 'visiting' and/or non commercial certified divers.

just think of the 'loss of revenue' claims for shutting down an entire above/below surface construction worksite.

Back
Top Bottom