• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diver gets DCS on flight home from Bali

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by Seaweed Doc, May 29, 2019.

1. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Just another thought on that - yes, I agree that any medical documents would not say "bends." But remember the context again - this was in a news story, not an accident report. If an uncommon medical or scientific term needs explanation, but a generally understood common term is available, then it is no surprise to me that is what was written.
    If a new story said a traveler was diagnosed with "Montezuma's Revenge" I would be very certain that is not what was written on the chart, but would understand and appreciate the use of that non-medical term. My main point is that what was actually reported may have been too quickly and easily discounted in this thread.

And at the risk of repeating from earlier - if there was also a virus or other bug in play it may very well have caused some notable dehydration, compounded by the common dehydration of air travel, and explain how DCS might occur in a scenario that might otherwise have been no issue.

infieldg likes this.
  2. Kay Dee

Kay Dee Barracuda

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Pardon delay in response but have been off-line this past week.

Re the above reply to my earlier post; I did not imply that a chamber ride equates to having DCS, but I do imply that a chamber ride that resolves suspected DCS sypmtoms (as per this incident) does equate to the patient almost certainly having had DCS (as opposed to Dengue - or other 'infection' - which would still be there after a chamber ride). That is, assuming he left the chamber symptoms free (which it appears he did?).

3. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

There's this guy named Occam and he says if one has DCS symptoms and the doctors say it's DCS and the symptoms resolve after a chamber ride, it must be Dengue.

4. michael-fisch

michael-fisch Manta Ray

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Thats what you get when you play with razors.

Michael

5. Duke Dive Medicine

Duke Dive Medicine Medical Moderator Staff Member

IV fluids would only be (potentially) called for if the individual could not take fluids by mouth. Aspirin is not a recommended treatment for decompression sickness and is especially inadvisable in the field if the individual has neurological symptoms and there's no way to determine whether he or she is suffering from an intracranial hemorrhage.

Best regards,
    DDM

InTheDrink and Ayisha like this.
  6. oly5050user

oly5050user Dive Travel Professional

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Actually current recommendation is 18 hours pre flight.

7. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    LOL. The entire story is full of stupid actions, inaccuracies and missing information.

oly5050user likes this.
  8. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

The diver reports that he was in ICU due to some weird virus he caught on Bali or on the plane. That's where the suspicion of dengue came into the discussion. Perhaps he had the very bad luck to be bent and infected. Poor guy

9. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Although the OP pasted text is very nearly a transcript of the broadcast piece, there is an actual video at the story link. When I watch the video I find I have no doubt that the doctor and the patient are both confident it was a DCS issue and it is not simply an interpretation by a reporter. Comes across a lot different in the full spoken word context.

infieldg and Seaweed Doc like this.