Diver Heaven - The 100 foot pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh man... a missile silo would be so awesome. They built one on a farm neighboring the farm my dad grew up on (in the middle of Kansas). He said during the cuban missile crisis that thing was open and smoke was pouring out the top... thing was ready to be launched.

When they abondoned it though, they gave the land with the silo on it back to the farmer they originally took it from. That particular silo was a L shape, the missle laid on it's side on the bottom part of the L, then when it was ready to be launched it was rolled up into the silo part, so the whole silo didn't go very deep underground that I know of. The farmer turned it into a giant underground garage to store all his farm equipment (since he could drive his combine straight into the thing)...

They have abandoned missile silo's everywhere though. I wouldn't think it'd be to difficult to buy one.

I wouldn't think it'd be to difficult to buy one.

The difficulty is waterproofing. Ventilation. Water quality management. Mold prevention. Algae prevention. Visibility regulation. Oxygenation. Maintinence. Safety. All other things-do-it-yourself.

I dived here last year with the club. The photos above are great but if there are more divers in the water the visibility (especially in the deep pit) quickly decreases due to all the bubbles.

normal_IMG_8134.JPG

They have strict rules: Entry/exit times, no decompression diving, not more than one descent into the pit, you cannot bring your own gear, they provide almost everything (with the exception of fins, mask and computer, and reg if the computer is attached to it in a console). That last restriction has to do with hygiene, the pool is filled with untreated spring water and they want everything that enters the water to be spotlessly clean. The water is warmed to a balmy 30 degrees C by solar energy, so no suit is needed.

We concluded our visit with a dinner in the Thai restaurant viewing the pool. Nice!

normal_IMG_8151.JPG

There have been several threads on Nemo33.

It's a nice place to avoid the winter blues... :)

BTW, it's 35 meter, not 33. :wink:

I dived here last year with the club. The photos above are great but if there are more divers in the water the visibility (especially in the deep pit) quickly decreases due to all the bubbles.

Cool! i knew there must have been someone.

fndmylove:
Anybody know of anything similar here in the states?

Heh. Ya, I think JSC (NASA) in Texas has one. Although its; probably not as cool, and much more difficult to get into.

ArthurGerla:
They have strict rules: you cannot bring your own gear, they provide almost everything (with the exception of fins, mask and computer, and reg if the computer is attached to it in a console).

That "no bringing your own gear" part is what I would have a problem with.

Cool pool. Vis looks decent too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom