Diver identity - how to increase underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Cozumel I had a DM who wore an oversized pair of Hawaiian print shorts in the water...he called them his 'fiesta shorts'. Instantly identifiable.

For myself, I have a pair of white fins that are high viz, and I've never seen another pair like them. Also, on my BCD I have a rolled orange safety sausage on my right shoulder strap...quite distinctive and visible, so I've been told.

Back when I was still teaching at UF, and would find myself in charge of groups up to 8 divers, I came up with the idea of wearing a white coolmax t-shirt over my wetsuit to distinguish myself from the other divers in the pond.

Men-s-coolmax-white-black-Running-Shirt.jpg

I have friends that work as instructors/DM's in south Florida and the Caribbean that do two-toned fins. One fin will be white, another black, or one red, one grey, etc.

Husband and I both wear bright yellow Force Fins - can't miss each other.

When dive shops sold neoprene by the yard (and dive gear came in COLORS right from the factory) you could buy colored neoprene trim tape, by the foot, and just glue it onto a wetsuit with seam sealer or neoprene cement. I ran down the arms & outside of the legs with bright red 1/2" wide trim, making it very easy to tell which one I was. Today that kind of trim seems had to find but there's at least one place on ebay selling colored thin neoprene by the inch or foot. Buy a foot, get a razor knife and some glue, and you're in business.

WET SUIT MATERIAL - NEOPRENE SPONGE BY THE INCH OFF THE ROLL | eBay

And if you're diving in warm water, I suppose there's always the tattoo parlor.(G)

When I was a kid I liked stickers. Put them on my lunch box, my bike, my toys, etc..

They say when you get to middle age, you start going backwards and eventually have to wear diapers like a baby.

So, I am 52 and put stickers on my fins. Side benefit, they standout and reflect light. Figure, I still have time before I have to wear diapers and give up scuba.

full.jpg

I wear yellow dive gloves. My buddy commented that she could always find me in the scrum....

A similar deal to the Scuba DoRag. The SCAP is neoprene and has little rubber dots on the inside to help keep it from sliding around on your forehead. I got one of these for Christmas but haven't gotten to use it yet.

Meet The SCAP - The SCAP

I use one of those on my warm water trips. Just remember to re-tie it from time to time ... it tends to stretch out and come off your head while you're underwater ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

View attachment 411023
You can never go wrong with a Reflective Belt wrapped around your tank.

Oh no, we could never dive together: I use the same reflective belt around my tank that is the same as your...
Just in case I'll change the reflective belt colour: don't do the same please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom