Diver missing - Emerald Bay - Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, looks like we now have five. I'm pretty sure that's a record. apparently there was another fatality at Frenchy's Cove on Anacapa yesterday as well. Not a good start. Please be safe out there.

I am sorry hear about the diver. I heard on tje news he was founf in 100ft of water.

Last edited:
Four?, I've heard nothing about Alamitos Bay. Someone needs to update me. Sounds like BS. Debbie, get your facts straight.
"Coast Guard officials reported a diver died Wednesday morning near Anacapa Island in Ventura County.
Later that night, a diver died shortly after entering the water near Alamitos Bay in Long Beach. The man complained about chest pain before collapsing around 10:40 p.m. He was taken to the hospital by Long Beach Fire Department officials, where he died 30 minutes later."
Search for missing diver near Catalina called off; two other divers die in Long Beach, Ventura County - The Orange County Register

My condolences to the family and friends of those who died. I avoid diving any boat that focuses on bug hunting or other hunting. I don't mind people taking bugs or spearing fish, I just don't want to be around them when they do as my purpose in diving is to take pictures.

I would think any diver who has done little diving following the closure of the last lobster season would take some time to do a few dives before the new season opened to make sure they are re-acquainted with their gear. The dives on opening night are at night, in the dark, more potential for mistakes.

Jesus Christ people they are lobsters. Why anybody would need to go to Catalina to bug hunt is beyond me. I do it in Laguna all day, **** the police.

Dr. Bill I think you hit the nail on the head...people not diving for months descend to the water for night diving at a time of the year that there are unpredictable currents and conditions can change fast.
Of course these dive boat trips are also especially expensive due to the multi-day permits and divers or boats are unlikely to cancel a dive for which they paid handsomely. This is where people need to weigh the possibilities and value their life. Just because a boat got you somewhere, it does not mean that you have to dive it...

Wow, looks like we now have five.

Actually, it may be six. There was an article in the OC Register that mentioned another fatality (which I hadn't heard of) last Saturday evening (opening day):

"Coast Guard officials reported a death around sunset on opening night Saturday in Catalina, after a man surfaced complaining of health issues. A boat captain called for medical assistance, and the man died en route to a hospital, said U.S. Coast Guard spokesman Adam Eggers."

If there article's correct about the Saturday sunset Catalina one (and assuming they're not mixing that up with the Santa Cruz one Saturday afternoon), we have:

1. Saturday afternoon at Yellowbanks off of Santa Cruz (charter dive boat)
2. Saturday sunset as indicated below (unknown if private or charter boat)
3. Monday night Catalina off of Indian Rock (charter dive boat)
4. Wednesday morning Anacapa (Park Service response)
5. Wednesday early evening Mission Bay (private boat or shore entry - SD lifeguard response)
6. Wednesday late evening Alamitos Bay (private boat - LB lifeguard response)

Yikes!!!! No lobster is worth your life. Dive safely and be aware of your physical condition to do so.

- Ken

Really sad and unfortunate. Condolences to this man's family and friends.

Actually, it may be six. There was an article in the OC Register that mentioned another fatality (which I hadn't heard of) last Saturday evening (opening day):

"Coast Guard officials reported a death around sunset on opening night Saturday in Catalina, after a man surfaced complaining of health issues. A boat captain called for medical assistance, and the man died en route to a hospital, said U.S. Coast Guard spokesman Adam Eggers."

If there article's correct about the Saturday sunset Catalina one (and assuming they're not mixing that up with the Santa Cruz one Saturday afternoon), we have:

1. Saturday afternoon at Yellowbanks off of Santa Cruz (charter dive boat)
2. Saturday sunset as indicated below (unknown if private or charter boat)
3. Monday night Catalina off of Indian Rock (charter dive boat)
4. Wednesday morning Anacapa (Park Service response)
5. Wednesday early evening Mission Bay (private boat or shore entry - SD lifeguard response)
6. Wednesday late evening Alamitos Bay (private boat - LB lifeguard response)

Yikes!!!! No lobster is worth your life. Dive safely and be aware of your physical condition to do so.

- Ken

Yellow Banks are susceptible to strong current, better be in shape especially if there is current and tidal exchange.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom