Diver missing - Motunau Island, New Zealand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Search for missing diver north of Christchurch suspended until Monday
A diver is missing off the Canterbury coast. (About 100 Km north of Christchurch)

Emergency services were called to a section of coastline just south of the Hurunui rivermouth at around 11.45am on Sunday.

"A male diver is missing, search and rescue are there trying to locate him," a police spokesman said.

The search area was approximately 11 kilometres north of Motunau Island.

A Westpac rescue helicopter joined the search but had to return to Christchurch to refuel.

More soon.

he reached surface and was climbing ladder when he cried out grabbed his chest and fell back into the water and sank

he reached surface and was climbing ladder when he cried out grabbed his chest and fell back into the water and sank
Sounds horrible. I'm sorry, were you there, or know someone who was? I think we need to cite sources. Thanks.

Canterbury Police suspend search for diver off Motunau Beach
Sunday, 5 March 2017 - 6:43pm
Canterbury
Canterbury Police have suspended the search for a diver this afternoon, who has been missing since 11am, Sunday 5 March, 2017.

A group of experienced divers went for a dive, approximately 7.5 nautical miles north of Motunau Beach, at 10:40am this morning.

The three divers were due to resurface at 11am but one of them did not return.

Nearby vessels assisted with a search for the man before Police were called and initiated a search at midday.

The Westpac Rescue Helicopter completed an air search and the Coastguard coordinated a water search.

The diver has not been located.

The search has now been suspended until tomorrow, when the Police National Dive Squad will begin to search the area.

The man's immediate next of kin have been notified and are being provided with ongoing support at this distressing time.

Sounds horrible. I'm sorry, were you there, or know someone who was? I think we need to cite sources. Thanks.

Canterbury Police suspend search for diver off Motunau Beach
we received a mayday on the radio - we were diving 20 minutes away - we went over to assist and the information was from his dive buddies on the boat. We spent an hour doing a surface search until the helicopter arrived - we also did a dive to see if we could find him but to no avail

we received a mayday on the radio - we were diving 20 minutes away - we went over to assist and the information was from his dive buddies on the boat. We spent an hour doing a surface search until the helicopter arrived - we also did a dive to see if we could find him but to no avail
Thanks for the information, as well as all you did at that time. This sort of crap can affect people in various ways, sometimes leading to undeserved feelings. It was great that you all did what you could.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope S&R team find him.

Another lesson to make sure you are positively buoyant before climbing up the ladder.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope S&R team find him.

Another lesson to make sure you are positively buoyant before climbing up the ladder.

Depending on how severe his issue was, and how far away medical was, It might not have saved his life, but would at least have made recovery easier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom