Diver missing off Destin, hope they find him/her

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This from the Coast Guard news bulletin:

NEW ORLEANS –The Coast Guard is searching for a diver who was last seen near a charter vessel approximately 10 miles southeast of Destin, Florida, Friday.

Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Mobile received a report at 1 p.m. of a missing diver who was last seen approximately 300 feet from the charter vessel, A-Salt Mission, at 2:40 p.m.

Involved in the search are:

• A 45-Foot Response Boat-Medium crew from Coast Guard Station Destin
  • An MH-65 Dolphin helicopter aircrew from Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans
  • The crew of Coast Guard Cutter Albacore
  • An MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter aircrew from Coast Guard Aviation Training Center Mobile
  • Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
  • Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office
  • Two good Samaritan vessels
-USCG-

He was found after 5 hours. UPDATE: Missing diver found near Destin, Florida

I would have fired my Personal Locator Beacon after a much shorter time.
Linked site blocked for viewers from Europe***. So the diver had and switched on a PLB?
How far in (time wise)? And how long from there to rescue?

*** This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.

Linked site blocked for viewers from Europe***. So the diver had and switched on a PLB?

*** This site is currently unavailable to visitors from the European Economic Area while we work to ensure your data is protected in accordance with applicable EU laws.

I didn't read any PLB mention. I think @DandyDon just saying that he would have launched his PLB soon if it were happened to him. If I missed the boat by 300 feet, I would have launched SMB & my Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS, before launching my PLB.

Sorry you can't access the story. No, they found him after a search, and after 5 hours I'm sure he was relieved. I meant that I would have used my PLB after drifting a much shorter time, but I guess he didn't have one. Most don't, sadly. As cheap as they are now, I wish that all travelers, hikers, and divers carried one. The US west of the Mississippi can be sparse with many areas where such folks make the news, and of course the ocean is even bigger.

Sorry you can't access the story. No, they found him after a search, and after 5 hours I'm sure he was relieved. I meant that I would have used my PLB after drifting a much shorter time, but I guess he didn't have one. Most don't, sadly. As cheap as they are now, I wish that all travelers, hikers, and divers carried one. The US west of the Mississippi can be sparse with many areas where such folks make the news, and of course the ocean is even bigger.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom