Diver missing on Cape Breton in Nanaimo 11/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PrincessOfPower

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone hear anything about this? I've heard from three people now that the radio news was talking about a diver missing in Nanaimo tonight, possibly on the wrecks? Sorry if I'm mis informed.

According to global news "one diver is missing and there buddy made it back to the boat. The search has been called off and is now a RCMP missing persons file". They were diving on the HMCS Cape Breton. I was watching from the east coast of Protection Island and saw the RCMP Higgitt, the Coastguard hovercraft, a Coastguard Cutter, a Search and Rescue Helicopter, 2 Coast Guard inflatables, the Higgitt's inflatable, as well as the dive charter boat (I'll let the officials name them). That is what I've heard and seen.

He was a friend of mine.

My condolences to you and his family and other friends.

Silt-out on the Breton may have been about 130-140 ft (depending on whether he was outside or in). Doesn't sound good. Deep enough to compound trouble.

Since you already know who it is, you must have more information than what was in the story? Care to enlighten?

A diver is missing after a dive on the wreck of the Cape Breton today. A husband and wife were doing a penetration dive on the Cape when apparently they found themselves in a dead end compartment. The husband was leading the dive and was wearing doubles turned the dive but somehow visability was reduced to zero. The wife (on single tank) felt her way out of the wreck reportedly exiting through a ventilation shaft but her husband did not make it out. There was no guideline used. An attempt was made by the boat operator and another diver on board to find him and reported no bubbles rising from the wreck which is common even when divers are deep inside to see some bubbles. At this time he has not been found after Coast Guard dive team conducted search. RCMP will resume search in the morning. The diver was a friend of mine and the last time I dove with him was on this wreck. He was an experienced diver and instructor.

I read a report like this, and I'm forcibly reminded of the story of Steve Donathan's demise, and the three divers on the Spiegel Grove.

I desperately hope that stories like this will help make sure that I never, ever fail to run a line when I even think about using one. I hope I never lose the fear that keeps me careful and conservative in my diving. The day I dive without worrying about it is the day I should stop diving, I think.

Two threads on the topic have been merged.

I want to vent a little here but I can't believe what is going on in Nanaimo right now.
The RCMP "dive" team has closed the area around the wreck while they conduct a search. Unfortunately they are only allowed to do pentration on surface supply and they are limited on their maximum penetration. We have a pretty good idea where he is yet they have been at it all day while his wife waits close by on a private boat for any news. The team are making repeated limited pentration dives but until they actually get inside they are unlikely to find him. Meanwhile those of us who are familiar enough with the wreck and perfectly capable to sweep the correct area in a matter of a couple of dives are required to wait helplessly by while the Keystone Kops bumble helplessly around the perimeter of the wreck.
We need a properly trained police dive team!

Meanwhile those of us who are familiar enough with the wreck and perfectly capable to sweep the correct area in a matter of a couple of dives are required to wait helplessly by while the Keystone Kops bumble helplessly around the perimeter of the wreck.
I believe the team would do all they physically could do if they were allowed -- please don't mistake their actions as a lack of desire or skill -- please blame the bureaucrats who place sometimes overly restricting rules and regulations on them. For example, remember the Cap Rouge II going down in 2002.

I can understand the frustration that you, and his wife, must be feeling though.

// I'm still sad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom