Diver missing on Cape Breton in Nanaimo 11/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've got this attitude in the US (and apparently it is infecting canada) that life can be made "safe" and the walls of the asylum can be padded sufficiently and all the pointed corners rounded off so that nobody ever gets hurt. That is a false premise. Particularly when you step into environments like this, you need to take responsibility for yourself to not get hurt.

Hear, hear, Lamont!!

There is a book I read a while ago, it was recommended to me by Bruce Partridge, who is the guy behind the Shearwater dive computers/CCR controllers, called "Risk". I just went looking for it, but is keeps scampering away just as I get close...anyhow, I can sum it up. The central concept in the book, is seat belt laws, and the conclusion is that the safer people perceive things, the more reckless they will behave. Enact seat belt laws and fatal accidents drop, for a bit, then return to pre-law levels, put airbags in cars, and the same thing happens, add a new road divider to prevent head on collisions, and guess what? Humans will modify their behavior to suit how "safe" they feel in a given situation to return just the proper (for them) amount of risk to most every activity. So you cut lots more holes in a wreck, weld up the 'bad' areas, and folks will either cut the welds, or find a deeper part of the wreck to visit, or move on to a wreck that is more challenging. Put enough divers in any given area and a few of us will manage to get ourselves hurt, that is the "root cause analysis" of human behaviour. There is always someone willing to take another step, push the envelope, ignore the rules, to get a bit more thrill, I am guilty of it myself. The more the populace is "opressed, controlled, directed" the more we tend to squirt out around the corners and defy the ones who want to save us from ourselves. The book "Risk" came to the conclusion that to practically eliminate all traffic accidents, mount a 6 inch steel spike in the center of the steering wheel, so as to increase the personal "perceived" risk by a large factor and all drivers would be amazingly cautious in their driving.
I used to own a 1985 mustang SVO, which, quite possibly was one of the most fun cars ever made, in my price range. I installed a 5 point racing harness in it, in addition to the stock shoulder harness. For normal everyday driving I wore the stock seat belt. But...if I put on the 5 point harness, I was transformed into Mario Andretti. I felt invincible and drove like it too. Risk is not the end all of life, but it does make any activity sweeter. read this Untitled
If this strikes a chord with you, then welcome to the club.

Risk is not the end all of life, but it does make any activity sweeter. read this Untitled
If this strikes a chord with you, then welcome to the club.

Interesting read. Thanks

I hope I never lose the fear that keeps me careful and conservative in my diving. The day I dive without worrying about it is the day I should stop diving, I think.

Im a new diver, So am not that confident yet w/ my diving skills. But just d same, I'd prefer to be always on my toes & be aware & careful rather than be over-confident & cocky.

I can't believe it's been 10 years. Miss you Daniel.
As I was reading through this thread I was taken aback by posts by some who are no longer with us.
Dive safe everyone...

Condolences Dave. I’m sure it must still hurt. Re-reading the thread was very sad. But glad you played your part in the recovery.

Re-reading the thread tho was beneficial as it’s reminded me about risks I’ve taken because of complacency or peer pressure that I shouldn’t have. It’s a good reminder.

Best,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom