• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diver missing on Spiegel Grove - Key Largo Florida

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by DandyDon, Oct 17, 2013.

1. iluvtheocean

iluvtheocean Solo Diver

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Learn something new every day :) this is a good thing.

openmindOW likes this.
  2. Doppler

Doppler Dive Equipment Manufacturer

me too!

3. iluvtheocean

iluvtheocean Solo Diver

# of Dives: 25 - 49

i've been using a diamond braid (maybe 1/8" or less??) rope that i normally use for camping etc to tie clips etc to my gear.. seems to be quite strong and easy to get ahold of.

Doppler likes this.
  4. DoNotDstrb

DoNotDstrb Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!

I'm fond of parachute cord....... Not the easiest thing to cut accidentally and available cheaply in the military surplus market........

Dr. Lecter and Doppler like this.
  5. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I was taught to use #36 line versus the thin cave crap, but I don't trust either one. Putting 550 cord on a reel is something I've never really considered but probably should.

6. RJP

RJP Scuba Media & Publications

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

7. drrich2

drrich2 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I see your point. On the other hand, I don't think giving dive briefings and recommendations obligates the staff to become scuba police. The 'rules' thing is more difficult.

Not all rules in society are effectively enforced. Yet even unenforced rules sometimes do some good. It didn't save this guy, but it might've saved some others over time. And diving outside the stipulated rules goes a long way to put the liability on the diver(s), not the op., which I believe is how it should be.

Richard.

8. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I have never felt anything in the "narcosis range." I have had several occasions, however, in which there was incontrovertible evidence of narcosis. In each case, something happened that revealed the extent of my stupidity at the moment. I would be happy to give the details if you wish. The key point is this: if it were not for the events that proved my stupidity, I would not have known about it. I would have ended the dive saying I had not had any narcotic effects whatsoever. One of the effects of the most common form of narcosis is you don't feel it--just as the person who is a little bit drunk doesn't know it when he picks up the car keys.

EDIT: In the cases when events showed the degree of my impairment, the most profound occurred at only 100 feet.

9. openmindOW

openmindOW HSA Instructor

good point. Pending an autopsy, we don't know if he had a medical emergency. Yes, he was 43. But there are 43 year olds with heart disease or diabetes.

Just to play Devils Advocate, as someone who has had my share of Spiegel dives, including pens, the Spiegel has a tempting allure. The water quality is perfect, the ship is huge, and there is very little junk cluttering the inside of the wreck.

My condolences to the family, friends and loved ones of the lost diver.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2013 at 09:19 PM ----------

Amen.

You do need to improve your vocabularly but you know that.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2013 at 09:37 PM ----------

I've seen it myself.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2013 at 09:44 PM ----------

You were narced at 160 FSW.

10. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    This is consistent with my experience. If you have all the normal diving stuff down perfectly (swimming, buoyancy etc.) you can be pretty stoned and not know it... but then, something will happen, even something small and you will respond to it very slowly or stupidly or incorrectly and if you are not too wasted you will recognize it immediately as impairment. If you are too far gone, you won't notice it, won't feel it and definitely will not remember it when you surface.

srhein, TSandM, Jim Lapenta and 5 others like this.