Diver pokes shark in eye, survives head chomp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
It would appear after reading the story in a few other places he was free diving.

My understanding of abalone hunting is that it is generally done freediving. It also has a better probability of GWS attack because the divers are repeatedly diving straight down to the bottom, then going straight back up for air, wearing a (usually dark colored) wetsuit and propelled by fins...yet another good way to make oneself easily mistaken for a sea lion. Scary incident, but no need for shark hysteria....especially here on SB.

I'd still dive Australia in a heartbeat, if only I had the funds and the time....

I see that now.. I did look before posting....

The article states, "Diving for abalone is highly lucrative but potentially dangerous, with divers routinely encountering large sharks as they spend hours under water, breathing through air hoses attached to boats." I'm glad he escaped too but also realize he was at a much higher risk for attack then someone scuba diving for recreation. It wouldn't scare me off from diving in Australia!

Do you ever feel like recording your explanation to replay for non-divers who ask: "Aren't you afraid of sharks...? :silly:

I'm sure this fellow was very scared at the time and had to wash his wet suit repeatedly, but he's got a great story to tell the girls for life...!

A lot of abalone divers are commercially diving. Some even dive using a cage type device that serves as a protection against sharks that they wear while diving.I think it would be somewhat cumbersome but I bet sales of these devices will go up after this incident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom