Diver pokes shark in eye, survives head chomp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Wet suits are worn by free dives, Surface Supplied Air divers, Surfers, Jet Skiers, Swimmers, and even one odd Oklahoma fellow I know to stay warm at football games.

So how does it keep him warm? Does he pee in it?

EEWWWW.

As for broken nose, do you think that was from the cavity size? Maybe his mask smacked tight to his face and he’s trying to pull free – said he was shaken hard. In essence his mask (shattered) broke his nose, otherwise I'd think the shark palate would give to the nose protrustion.

He didn’t see the shark, noticed only when bit, reminds me of a fellow who woke up with his head in a bears jaws. :11:

The first Reuters report said he was an Abalone Diver, and diving but didn’t connect that he had any abalone with him or not. I don’t recall seeing Scuba anywhere.

I saw some Great White bite force studies and surprised not more damage to torso (than reported anyway) I’d think fractured ribs at least, maybe spine, pheumothorax and flail chest. Pretty hard to fight your way out with those. Ahhh, lead weight vest? took the brunt. What would a lead weight vest be? I’m thinking if was weight belt that would be one remarkable coincidence the shark bit just in that thin line, each tooth on a weight.

What a story, definitely one for the grandkids.

getting abalone will definitely attract a shark that is hungry.
sharks are everywhere and id be more worried bumping into a tiger or bull shark......especially in those warmer waters or freshwater rivers u speak so confidently about :wink:

danielt:
getting abalone will definitely attract a shark that is hungry.
sharks are everywhere and id be more worried bumping into a tiger or bull shark......especially in those warmer waters or freshwater rivers u speak so confidently about :wink:

No Doubt. After watching shark week on Discovery, my biggest fear is the Bull shark, but most of the time the attacks were in dark water, near breeding grounds or when provoked. Regardless, I still love sharks and can't wait to dive with them this spring! Remember, we are in their world, they aren't doing anything unreasonable.:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom