Diver Recall System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabunny

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find a good, dependable diver underwater recall device for getting divers back in the dive boat in the case of an emergency? I have looked everywhere, but I can't find one. I know they exist! Any leads would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Dirt simple, dirt cheap and 100% effective. Of course Uncle Sugar and the coastal nannies made it illegal.

It consisted of a cigarette, Wham-O Wrist Rocket, and a cherry bomb. Light cigarette, place Cherry bomb in pocket of wrist rocket, pull back wrist rocket pouch to sholder, light fuse with cigarette at shoulder and IMMEDIATELY release to a location about 100 or more yards away from divers to detonate at the surface of the water, or just under. Waterproof fuse burn time was a bit over 2 seconds, so there was lots of time to get it off the boat if the discussion factor was held to a minimum.

The shot is audible underwater for over a half mile and impossible to mistake for something else. Brings 'em right back to the boat every time!

FT

Thanks for the idea FredT..but somehow, I don't think the coast guard would approve :wink: It definitely would work though!!

Texass, thanks for the links. Do you have any idea what the price range is for those speaker units? I was actually thinking more of a bigger version of a hammerhead or something, but if they are fairly affordable, they would be the way to go!

One of the boats I dove on for a very long time had an underwater P.A. system on it. When ever they needed the divers to return to the boat they would put on the JAWS music and crank up the volume. Worked really well on the newer divers. :)

If you're on a steel hull boat, go below and whack the hull with a hammer a couple times...

I don't think I'd try this with fiberglass or aluminium though... (glub, glub, glub)

A 5 lb weight banged repeatedly against the ascent ladders was enough to bring up all divers on our trip to the Caymans. Mind you, they told us at the beginning of the trip that if we heard that to high-tail it back to the boat, and also, they have some big stout ladders as well.

Ocean Technology Systems makes a diver recall system/hydro phone combination. It is used by most all military divers around the world. It is called the DRS-100B.

You can send voice, solid tone, music or interment tone to all divers within range. The divers hear using the naked ear. No electronic devices for the divers are necessary.

The way it works: You have a base station which has its own batteries. You hang a speaker or transducer in the water. When you speak into a hand held microphone, your voice is projected into the water for everyone within range to hear. It sounds like your being paged in a super market! If you use the toggle switch labeled TONE, you can either send a solid or interment tone. Tones will trave further then voice (voice approximately 100 yards, tones further).

If you turn up the listening volume, you hear any noise and/or sea creatures making noise (whales, dolphins, snapping shrimp, working divers, etc.). You can also play music to the listeners. The unit is commonly used for synchronized swimming teams!

Recall lesson 101:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom