Diver rescued after drifting 16 hours near Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Not much info. Anybody have more details?

Saved | The Jakarta Post

[h=1]Saved[/h] The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Archipelago | Thu, September 26 2013, 6:34 PM

xTouristss.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5pUuKr2JVs.jpg
Saved: French tourist Julie Galuchot is greeted by search and rescue team members at Senggigi Port in West Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara (NTB), on Thursday. She was caught in a strong current on Wednesday afternoon when she was diving with her trainer Sofi Hidayat in waters off Gili Trawangan. The current carried her for 16 hours to waters off Nusa Penida, where she was spotted by fishermen on Thursday morning. (Antara/Ahmad Subaidi)

Not much info. Anybody have more details?

Saved | The Jakarta Post

Saved

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Archipelago | Thu, September 26 2013, 6:34 PM

xTouristss.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5pUuKr2JVs.jpg
Saved: French tourist Julie Galuchot is greeted by search and rescue team members at Senggigi Port in West Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara (NTB), on Thursday. She was caught in a strong current on Wednesday afternoon when she was diving with her trainer Sofi Hidayat in waters off Gili Trawangan. The current carried her for 16 hours to waters off Nusa Penida, where she was spotted by fishermen on Thursday morning. (Antara/Ahmad Subaidi)

YIKES!!! That is one long way to drift, maybe 80 miles . . . and there is not much of anything South until you hit Antarctica. . .

My experience diving on 'Gili T' is that no-one shore dives (because of the currents), I wonder what the pooh-for-brains instructor was doing. . .

She was in the water overnight. Must have been terrifying.

There's no mention of where the instructor was while she was lost, if he was the one to raise the alarm, whether she was a student diver, etc. I can read French, so I've looked a bit for any kind of report, but don't see anything except this one Jakarta Post paragraph. Maybe tomorrow....

She sure looks healthy for someone that must have had quite an awful time of it. And as Quero said, imagine bring alone all that time. :(

I've become sold on PLBs & Dive Canisters! I got the ACR 2881 more for inland adventures, off trail hikes, roads less traveled, out of cell range - and carry it in my car, easy to carry on hikes, etc. I know that most depend on their cell phones, and they make headlines everyday - even if they bodies are not always found. :shakehead:

For my last trip, I rented a Dive Canister and hung it from a D-ring - no problem. The ACR 2881 is buoyant & waterproof on the surface, and I'd hate for one to sink just when I needed it. It cannot withstand dive depths, but the canister protected it well.

Oh, the PLB is only $40/year - free replacement if needed! $250 including shipping (be careful as many sites charge much more!), $200 after rebate, good for 5 years, and if you ever need to use it - send it in with a good story for free replacement. ResQLink+ 406 Buoyant Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) | ACR ARTEX

Thanks Wisnu.
A summary (if my poor Bahasa is correct)

• A group from Frogy dive shop on Gili T began a dive at 10:00.
  • The victims (Julie, the customer and Sofi, the dive pro) were not seen on the surface as expected at 11:00
  • A search with the assistance of local dive operators was undertaken for three hours.
  • When the pair were not found, the dive operator called in the authorities.
  • At about 16:30 an official search was begun and proceeded until 21:00, but was suspended overnight.
  • At 8:30 the next morning the victims phoned their loved ones from Lombok (presumably after having been rescued by locals).
  • What follows is confusing, but it looks like the families were transferred by ferry (???) or were ferried on a rescue boat (???) from Padang Bai to Lombok
  • The victims and their families were reunited at 14:15.

The lesson for me is that when diving, particularly in high current areas, it's important to have signaling devices to facilitate being found.

Thanks Wisnu.

• The victims (Julie, the customer and Sofi, the dive pro) were not seen on the surface as expected at 11:00
  • A search with the assistance of local dive operators was undertaken for three hours.
  • At about 16:30 an official search was begun and proceeded until 21:00, but was suspended overnight.
  • At 8:30 the next morning the victims phoned their loved ones from Lombok (presumably after having been rescued by locals).
  • What follows is confusing, but it looks like the families were transferred by ferry (???) or were ferried on a rescue boat (???) from Padang Bai to Lombok

The lesson for me is that when diving, particularly in high current areas, it's important to have signaling devices to facilitate being found.

It would be difficult for me to determine who to shoot first, the S**T for brains dive master/instructor or the S**T for brain dive operator.

Both should be banned from the profession

Thanks Wisnu.

Thanks Marcia,
Good summary, just minor clarification.
At 8:30 the next morning the victims phoned from Nusa Penida to their loved ones in Lombok (after having been rescued by locals).
They were transfered to Padang bay by boat and then ferried to G. Trawangan Lombok and meet with their family at 14:15.

Back
Top Bottom