Divers in the Tsunami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was wondering how the tsunami would affect divers underwater? i think at depths of more than 20 metres they might not be affected? The tsunami hits land and has a great speed in deeper water.. so wouldn't only the boat be affected?

i'll ask my physics teacher today.

I have not found confirmation of this story yet. A friend of mine saw it on the news

But I had heard that there were some divers at about 60 feet on a dive when the tsunami hit. They stated it was like being flushed down a toilet. They looked at their gages and were at 100 feet. I gues the DM was tring to drag every one up. When they surfaced the area was covered with derbis and bodies.

I have heard two versions with different depths with the same result.

We heard that some divers were doing their 5m safety stop when the tsunami hit. All they heard was a loud noise. They looked up, thinking that a big boat was passing by but, of course, did not see anything.

talked to my physics teacher today. he told me that having a huge increase in the depth of the ocean will increase the depth u are at. that is, if you are at 30m and a giant deep water bulge of 20m moves above you, you will be in waters 50m deep. that would kill the ears. another aspect is the circular swaying motion of the waves. Being near rocks is not a good idea... another thing i saw on the Discovery channel was that if u are in 30knot waters, it's the same as being in a 30,000 knot hurricane

Some divers did survive and thank god that their boat was there to pick them up.

I think IMHO, that the reason those divers saw their depth guages move rapidly was from the fact that the wave was pushing them down and that the wave created a higher depth in that area.

Let's hope for the best

Jalal

one of my ex colleague was underwater with his customers when the earthquake that trigered tsunami happen, they only heard the big noise they thought the USS craft carrier sailing above them, he blew up the signalling device from 12 meters, few mins later they surface,get on board then head back...the water up and down ripped all apart just before they ashore.....lots of massive corals washed inland from the depth above 7m.....

Back
Top Bottom