Divers missing in Zanzibar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank's for the additional information. It doesen't look good :-(

When I was diving in Palau were you also experience ripping currents and lot of open ocean every body pair was forced to at least one SMB between them. Since then I never dive without one if there's the slightest chance of being sweep away.

Firstly - no news, unfortunately. they are continuing the search and searching the mainland coasts of Kenya and Tanzania now, where they believe currents may have taken the divers. There has been at least one case where divers went missing in Zanzibar, and they were found (alive) a couple of days later by some fishermen off the mainland coast.

Secondly, I just spoke to the other person again who was with the missing group on the dive - the dive plan seems to have been even stranger than I thought: They had agreed beforehand to split the group half-way through the dive, with the two groups swimming off in different directions at an angle of 90 degrees - very difficult for the skippers, I think, even if they were properly informed and understood the plan.

And finally, after rereading my last post in this thread, I've been feeling a bit bad about what I wrote about the dive centre in question. Even though there were things I did not like about some people's attitude there when I dived with them 2 years ago, it's irrelevant to this incident. So apologies if anyone who read it felt I was slagging the diveshop off, they have enough problems as it is. Read my comments about the boat drivers as: The communication between dive crew and captain isn't always the best here, so it may well be that the boat crew didn't fully understand the plan or felt it wasn't their decision anyway.

Rescuers end search for missing scuba divers

July 22 2005 at 11:35AM

By Ali Sultan

Zanzibar, Tanzania - Rescue teams gave up the search for four Danish scuba divers and their Canadian instructor on Friday, a week after the group failed to surface at a designated spot off the coast of the Zanzibar archipelago, officials said.

Acting regional police chief Ameir Juma Ameir said that searches by helicopter, boat and by villagers failed to find any sign of the group, which was diving July 16 off of Misali, an island famous for its sandy beaches and great diving and snorkeling in surrounding reefs.

The area where the divers disappeared has strong underwater currents that may have dragged and trapped them into submarine caves existing there, Ameir said. The currents go as far as Mombasa, an Indian Ocean port city in neighbouring Kenya, Ameir said.

"We exhausted all of our efforts at last to be able to trace the bodies of the missing divers, our exercise seems to bear no tangible results," Ameir said.

The owner of Swahili Divers, where the instructor worked, said the active search was called off following consultations with the Danish Embassy, Tanzanian authorities and in accordance with maritime law.

"The circumstances surrounding their disappearance remain a complete mystery," Farhat Jah said in a press release. "Conditions on the day were excellent, sea calm and current light, and our expert dive instructor was equipped with all of his usual safety and recognition equipment."

Misali is near Pemba, the second main island in this Indian Ocean archipelago. The operation involved volunteers, police officers and members of Zanzibar's Special Unit for the Prevention of Smuggling. - Sapa-AP

sbloomer:
Rescuers end search for missing scuba divers

July 22 2005 at 11:35AM

By Ali Sultan

Zanzibar, Tanzania - Rescue teams gave up the search for four Danish scuba divers and their Canadian instructor on Friday, a week after the group failed to surface at a designated spot off the coast of the Zanzibar archipelago, officials said.

Acting regional police chief Ameir Juma Ameir said that searches by helicopter, boat and by villagers failed to find any sign of the group, which was diving July 16 off of Misali, an island famous for its sandy beaches and great diving and snorkeling in surrounding reefs.

The area where the divers disappeared has strong underwater currents that may have dragged and trapped them into submarine caves existing there, Ameir said. The currents go as far as Mombasa, an Indian Ocean port city in neighbouring Kenya, Ameir said.

"We exhausted all of our efforts at last to be able to trace the bodies of the missing divers, our exercise seems to bear no tangible results," Ameir said.

The owner of Swahili Divers, where the instructor worked, said the active search was called off following consultations with the Danish Embassy, Tanzanian authorities and in accordance with maritime law.

"The circumstances surrounding their disappearance remain a complete mystery," Farhat Jah said in a press release. "Conditions on the day were excellent, sea calm and current light, and our expert dive instructor was equipped with all of his usual safety and recognition equipment."

Misali is near Pemba, the second main island in this Indian Ocean archipelago. The operation involved volunteers, police officers and members of Zanzibar's Special Unit for the Prevention of Smuggling. - Sapa-AP
\
Wonder if they tried to go into one of those underwater caves and go trapped?

Just curious but could they identify whose BC was found? Someone said a regulator was attached, I assume the tank was there as well (?) Could it have been the instructors by any chance? The reason I ask is a BC found in open water can mean more then the diver removed it to swim better. I don't think I'd ever take my floatation off in open water unless I was VERY close to shore and even then I keep it on roll over on my back and kick my way in. If something happened to the instructor then the remaining inexperienced divers could have panicked. The BC floating was not a good sign in my book. To me it looks like something happened to one of the divers.

The dive itself sounds challenging, why would you take inexperienced divers on dive like that?

Please don't interpret this as an accepting attitude on my part - one of my colleagues used to work with the people that disappeared, here in Denmark - but isn't it so that a huge amount of dives take place every day under less-than-ideal circumstances?

Especially in poorer and more remote regions where equipment, spares and replacements are expensive and hard to come by and pressure chambers and more-than-makeshift hospitals may be hours or even days away and where lingual or cultural challenges makes communication, education and adherence to various standards difficult at best?

I've been on diveboats that turned out not to carry oxygen because they tended to be stolen - and getting fresh ones would take a year not to mention 100% import tax. When you last went diving with friends, did you bring your own oxygen kit, or was it just too damn expensive? Did you really trust the skills of everyone? When you last buddied with a guy you didn't know did you check him out thoroughly or did you think "well, this is an easy, shallow dive anyway so ..."

Safety is always impacted by circumstance - and even well-planned diving does contain chance elements like, say the sea. Back-water indonesia just is not the red sea, safetywise.

We should use this terrible incident to direct attention at our own practise rather than this one dive centre and always try to fully understand the circumstances under which our diving takes place.

Is it a remote location? Do you know your buddy? Are you really fit, experienced and equipped for the dive? How well did you check out the dive operation beforehand? Do you have contingency plans based on the specific site? How well are you really insured - and is there any chance of anyone finding out that were insured before it ceases to matter? What are the specific risks for the dive? Do you know the counter procedures? What are you really trusting other people to handle for you, do you know what you're are getting into?

With nature the problem tends lie in the getting-back-out.

To me risk can be acceptable if it is a known risk, that can be prepared and planned for. Going to 30 metres as an open water diver, because it feels sooo easy doesn't fit that description. We must always strive to understand what it is we are actually doing. Getting away with murder doesn't make it safe nor does it make us more experienced.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that as certified divers we are supposed be aware of what we are doing to a wide extent, and no amount of instructors and divemasters can take away that basic responsibility to oneself - and even then, sadly, **** can happen.

I'm not trying to take away the professional responsibiblity of the dive operation in question - maybe they do need to evaluate procedure. But to me, part of being a diver is expecting things to be less-than-padi-standard and impacted by circumstance and everyday life. Not because I like it that way, but because the perfect world of ever-safe diving is not gonna arrive overnight.

Personally i was advanced and on my twentyfifth dive or so before,it really dawned on me that I was actually putting my life in the hands (and battered computer) of the local divemaster - whom I liked, but didnt really know - and without even thinking about it. It's just a case of you don't even know what you don't know. I'd had the training, with good instructors too, but just not been a diver long enough to really understand the implications.

Good dive operations take this into account to some extent, but on some days they're just trying to make the boat schedule fit. You'll never know because mostly it's safe anyway. Mostly. O.W.C may be fine for the average tropical aquarium, but it doesn't apply to the entire planet.

...Or am I talking bullocks?

Regards santa

Santa:
Please don't interpret this as an accepting attitude on my part - one of my colleagues used to work with the people that disappeared, here in Denmark - but isn't it so that a huge amount of dives take place every day under less-than-ideal circumstances?

Especially in poorer and more remote regions where equipment, spares and replacements are expensive and hard to come by and pressure chambers and more-than-makeshift hospitals may be hours or even days away and where lingual or cultural challenges makes communication, education and adherence to various standards difficult at best?

I've been on diveboats that turned out not to carry oxygen because they tended to be stolen - and getting fresh ones would take a year not to mention 100% import tax. When you last went diving with friends, did you bring your own oxygen kit, or was it just too damn expensive? Did you really trust the skills of everyone? When you last buddied with a guy you didn't know did you check him out thoroughly or did you think "well, this is an easy, shallow dive anyway so ..."

Safety is always impacted by circumstance - and even well-planned diving does contain chance elements like, say the sea. Back-water indonesia just is not the red sea, safetywise.

We should use this terrible incident to direct attention at our own practise rather than this one dive centre and always try to fully understand the circumstances under which our diving takes place.

Is it a remote location? Do you know your buddy? Are you really fit, experienced and equipped for the dive? How well did you check out the dive operation beforehand? Do you have contingency plans based on the specific site? How well are you really insured - and is there any chance of anyone finding out that were insured before it ceases to matter? What are the specific risks for the dive? Do you know the counter procedures? What are you really trusting other people to handle for you, do you know what you're are getting into?

With nature the problem tends lie in the getting-back-out.

To me risk can be acceptable if it is a known risk, that can be prepared and planned for. Going to 30 metres as an open water diver, because it feels sooo easy doesn't fit that description. We must always strive to understand what it is we are actually doing. Getting away with murder doesn't make it safe nor does it make us more experienced.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that as certified divers we are supposed be aware of what we are doing to a wide extent, and no amount of instructors and divemasters can take away that basic responsibility to oneself - and even then, sadly, **** can happen.

I'm not trying to take away the professional responsibiblity of the dive operation in question - maybe they do need to evaluate procedure. But to me, part of being a diver is expecting things to be less-than-padi-standard and impacted by circumstance and everyday life. Not because I like it that way, but because the perfect world of ever-safe diving is not gonna arrive overnight.

Personally i was advanced and on my twentyfifth dive or so before,it really dawned on me that I was actually putting my life in the hands (and battered computer) of the local divemaster - whom I liked, but didnt really know - and without even thinking about it. It's just a case of you don't even know what you don't know. I'd had the training, with good instructors too, but just not been a diver long enough to really understand the implications.

Good dive operations take this into account to some extent, but on some days they're just trying to make the boat schedule fit. You'll never know because mostly it's safe anyway. Mostly. O.W.C may be fine for the average tropical aquarium, but it doesn't apply to the entire planet.

...Or am I talking bullocks?

Regards santa

I hope I fully understand your point. Is it that we should not place so much trust in Dive Ops in remote, Third World areas and take more individual responsibility? If, as you say, some of the boats have no oxygen and are days away from any chamber and some of the DM's are not up to PADI or SSI standards, what is one to do? Some of those things you will not find out till you are on your way to the site. What do you do if there is not oxygen on the boat and there will be none for the whole time you are there? Do you scrub the dive after traveling that distance and spending a lot of money? Do you just work around it? How much do you ask your potential buddy and how is that done when you have such limited time to the site and you are busy checking your gear and getting briefed? I have always found this a probelm. I have also found it a major problem that most divers I get buddied with are really into solo diving but are not aware of it. That's fine if everything goes ok and you don't have a gear failure, but what happens when things go wrong and your buddy is off following a turtle?

I can tell you, if I go to a remote place to dive, I expect the DM to at least brief me on that site and guide me around any dangers on the dive, since I am totally unfamilar with the site and area. I also expect that oxygen be on the boat and some plan in place to evacuate a diver if the need ever arose.

I think that is why the recommendations of other divers is so important.

pilot fish:
I hope I fully understand your point. Is it that we should not place so much trust in Dive Ops in remote, Third World areas and take more individual responsibility? If, as you say, some of the boats have no oxygen and are days away from any chamber and some of the DM's are not up to PADI or SSI standards, what is one to do? Some of those things you will not find out till you are on your way to the site. What do you do if there is not oxygen on the boat and there will be none for the whole time you are there? Do you scrub the dive after traveling that distance and spending a lot of money? Do you just work around it? How much do you ask your potential buddy and how is that done when you have such limited time to the site and you are busy checking your gear and getting briefed? I have always found this a probelm. I have also found it a major problem that most divers I get buddied with are really into solo diving but are not aware of it. That's fine if everything goes ok and you don't have a gear failure, but what happens when things go wrong and your buddy is off following a turtle?

I can tell you, if I go to a remote place to dive, I expect the DM to at least brief me on that site and guide me around any dangers on the dive, since I am totally unfamilar with the site and area. I also expect that oxygen be on the boat and some plan in place to evacuate a diver if the need ever arose.

I think that is why the recommendations of other divers is so important.

It think you sum up my concerns pretty well - and the answers to the questions you ask is what we need to really consider individually. it's a good point that the riskier the destination the more we should actually expect, professionally from the resort/opreation. We just shouldn't expect it quietly - an assertive attitude is definately in order.

I just DM'ed a short divetrip to Kullen (a rock-wall peninsula off the coast of sweden - a national park and very well-run). It was a new destination to the shop I work for so we'd made arrangements with a local dive operation (boat and additional local divemaster and instructor). The professional correspondance via phone and email was very satisfying and yet it turned out utter bullocks.

I'll skip all the small stuff, like completely ignoring their own briefings, and stick with the worst:

The promised big boat was broken - we wound up in two smaller boats, way too small when the wind later picked up. Poor boatsmanship cost them a busted a propeller on the rocks getting us in. While we were submerged they opted to use the other boat - our only buoy - to tow it back to the harbour, leaving us in an open water coastal current by a steep rock face, with just two spotters in weekend clothes on the rocks. My team, expecting a boat pick-up made it to the rocks okay. The other drifted in the for I don't know how long before finally making it to the shore, exhausted - the remaining boat it turned out was too small to even haul a diver over the side.

I was tracking them from a rock outcropping, in snorkling gear and I was *this* close to calling in the coast guard. Luckily they were all fit, experienced divers. My team weren't. We finally had to ditch our gear on the rocks and climb out because the wind was picking up and boat just too damn small for anything.

Short of diver recommendation I see few ways of guarding yourself against such experiences, other than paying really close attention to details. The logistic and procedural dispositions of an operation tends to sum up their overall mindset. If they make many small mistakes or odd decisions - big ones may be just on the horizon.

You gotta ask, ask, ask.

Later (too late) I heard some other carzy stories about this operation (like running out of gas and drifting to Denmark - 20-30 km through the commercially heavily trafficked strait of Elsinore). In the future I shall never rely professionally on an operation that I've just met - it just takes more, I guess.

Procedure makes a site safe or not.

If anyone have suggestions as to what may be done to avoid such situations I'd be happy top hear them.

Sincerely Santa

Santa:
It think you sum up my concerns pretty well - and the answers to the questions you ask is what we need to really consider individually. it's a good point that the riskier the destination the more we should actually expect, professionally from the resort/opreation. We just shouldn't expect it quietly - an assertive attitude is definately in order.

I just DM'ed a short divetrip to Kullen (a rock-wall peninsula off the coast of sweden - a national park and very well-run). It was a new destination to the shop I work for so we'd made arrangements with a local dive operation (boat and additional local divemaster and instructor). The professional correspondance via phone and email was very satisfying and yet it turned out utter bullocks.

I'll skip all the small stuff, like completely ignoring their own briefings, and stick with the worst:

The promised big boat was broken - we wound up in two smaller boats, way too small when the wind later picked up. Poor boatsmanship cost them a busted a propeller on the rocks getting us in. While we were submerged they opted to use the other boat - our only buoy - to tow it back to the harbour, leaving us in an open water coastal current by a steep rock face, with just two spotters in weekend clothes on the rocks. My team, expecting a boat pick-up made it to the rocks okay. The other drifted in the for I don't know how long before finally making it to the shore, exhausted - the remaining boat it turned out was too small to even haul a diver over the side.

I was tracking them from a rock outcropping, in snorkling gear and I was *this* close to calling in the coast guard. Luckily they were all fit, experienced divers. My team weren't. We finally had to ditch our gear on the rocks and climb out because the wind was picking up and boat just too damn small for anything.

Short of diver recommendation I see few ways of guarding yourself against such experiences, other than paying really close attention to details. The logistic and procedural dispositions of an operation tends to sum up their overall mindset. If they make many small mistakes or odd decisions - big ones may be just on the horizon.

You gotta ask, ask, ask.

Later (too late) I heard some other carzy stories about this operation (like running out of gas and drifting to Denmark - 20-30 km through the commercially heavily trafficked strait of Elsinore). In the future I shall never rely professionally on an operation that I've just met - it just takes more, I guess.

Procedure makes a site safe or not.

If anyone have suggestions as to what may be done to avoid such situations I'd be happy top hear them.

Sincerely Santa

Thanks for that interesting, and harrowing, account. I don't know how you could avoid a situation like that? How could you ever know they'd be that unprofessional? What agency are they affiliated with SSI, PADI? Maybe a report to that agency will prevent them from doing this kind of thing in the future? I'm going to guess they don't get a lot of dive traffic? Maybe a clue is to stay away from dive ops and sites so far off the dive track?

It's a load off my back you should say so.

Like the shop I work for they were PADI, and my immediate feeling was they sorta deserved some kind of reporting - mainly to prevent future accidents.

However, from what I've heard, since they mainly played a role as boatsmen whereas the divers had bought the trip and subsequent dives from us it may not legally be a "padi problem" which leaves us some sort of police report, I guess.

The operation did brief us to the divesite at my request - but the legal responsibility in terms of liability releases and all that remained with us - or so I've been led to believe??

An interesting point, regarding diving as a profession, is that a one of that guys I was working with was reluctant to report out of fear of being branded a "flamer" for telling. How often does fear of winding up out of work indfluence reporting ...

Kullen by the way is no more remote a location to copenhagen than your average boat site divesites - thirty minutes to an hour, weather permitting. THe Local harbour is even closer - success and affordability comes down to the capacity of the boat and the duration of stay ...

Yours
Santa

Back
Top Bottom