Divers vs non divers, is there a happy medium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We travel with friends several times a year, usually the same couple when we dive and sometimes with a larger group of non diving couples to non diving places. Not sure how old your family members are and if they can be on their own or not, but we abide by the following;

If someone has something they are doing, diving or another activity, it's offered up to everyone. Everyone has the option to join in or do their own thing. We generally wind up together for dinner.

One person had their belongings stolen when we were in the pool.
That can happen anywhere.

Hotel Cozumel is not known for good food, but I stayed there a few trips, and it was ok. Breakfast was good, lunch by the dock was ok, and dinner was better than nothing - better than my home cooking at home. I'm single and a solo traveler, who wouldn't walk to town and hate paying for taxis alone, so I was fine. I'm not a foodie, and I don't drink much, so it was fine with me.

Many who stay there take the AI if they can get a great price on it, then only utilize it for breakfast, lunch, and at other times for convenience. You can take the AI at a good price and still go to town for dinner.

Many like the dive op there, but I always used others.

jonhall,

We do it the exact same way. We set up the villa (based on how many are traveling with us). We offer dining & recreation suggestions to the "Newbies". The rule is everyone lets the group know what they are doing that day, and whether it's an "Open Invitation", or just to let people know what is going on. We usually all meet for dinner.

We are not "Vacation Directors".

In over 10 years, we've never had a problem.

It ticks several diver boxes. No charge for pier pick-up. Shore diving. Close to the marina. Lockers on the dock.

Do you know if lockers are available to hotel guests using an outside dive op? Are these lockers or any others nearby available to rent to non-guests?

I'm looking at staying at Palmar but would like to find lockers by a pier to use. Many ops will rinse and store gear but I like to shore dive so I need my gear available.

Do you know if lockers are available to hotel guests using an outside dive op? Are these lockers or any others nearby available to rent to non-guests?

I'm looking at staying at Palmar but would like to find lockers by a pier to use. Many ops will rinse and store gear but I like to shore dive so I need my gear available.

Prior to Wilma and a couple years after the lockers were only for people diving with Del Mar Aquatics, but then it changed and anyone staying at the hotel and diving could use a locker. (bring your own lock)

It's been awhile since I've been there so things may have changed, but my guess is that you have to be staying at Casa del Mar to use a locker. There were times when almost every locker was in use.

Another option would be to contact Roberta at Village Tan Kah (Scuba Shack) and see if she might rent a locker. They're a couple hundred feet south of CDM's pier. She's friendly, knowledgable, reasonable and I think your best bet.

Others participating in this forum have been to CDM more recently and may have better info.

Where are you getting picked up? The last time I was at CDM, PalMar didn't have a dock. I have it in my head that you dive with Christi? If that's the case, she'd probably be great help in arranging something with Roberta or may have another solution.

I've rented most of my shore tanks from Roberta. Getting a tank from CDM's op was iffy without giving them a days notice, but Roberta always had some extras.

I know Palmar doesn't have a dock - that's one of the reasons for my question. It's a short walk to several docks but a lot easier if the gear is already by the dock. We haven't booked a dive op yet and have used a variety of ops over the years. There are also a few others coming with us so their input is a factor. Never used Roberta's before but that an option.

Might be a business opportunity for someone to install good dockside lockers. Inexpensive to operate and maintain. I'd pay $5 per day.

Do you know if it's possible to rent tanks for a night dive? I've rented tanks from CDM before for day shore dives there. They wanted them back by 5 or 6pm.

I know Palmar doesn't have a dock - that's one of the reasons for my question. It's a short walk to several docks but a lot easier if the gear is already by the dock. We haven't booked a dive op yet and have used a variety of ops over the years. There are also a few others coming with us so their input is a factor. Never used Roberta's before but that an option.

Might be a business opportunity for someone to install good dockside lockers. Inexpensive to operate and maintain. I'd pay $5 per day.

Do you know if it's possible to rent tanks for a night dive? I've rented tanks from CDM before for day shore dives there. They wanted them back by 5 or 6pm.

It's been about 5 years since I've been there, so others may have more accurate information.

It sounds like you've ruled out CDM, Park Royal, El Cid and Village Tan Kah for your group. If I was considering Palmar, I'd ask Palmar what they suggest. They may have arrangements with ops in that area. CDMs dock will be the closest to you. I suspect that if you were diving with their concierge, or whatever the dive op arrangement is now, you could board there with no issues, and maybe even get a locker and night dive tanks. If you're not diving with them or staying at CDM, it's a guess, but you might have to pay, or not even be allowed to board an outside op boat there. If you stay at CDM, you can get picked up by whomever and they don't, didn't anyhow, charge.

Where CDM can have a little bit of a "big machine" feeling to it, Roberta/Scuba Shack/Village Tan Kah does not. With this kind of "outside the box" situation, she'd be my first call if Palmar doesn't have a path or if I didn't know which op I intend to use. I have no idea if this is the case or not, but she may already have a price for renting a locker space and boarding from her dock. In a 6-8-10 pack boat, it's the easiest boarding I've ever had. She has a locker room, with rinse tanks, etc, right on her dock. Very convenient setup.

If Palmar has something going with CDM or CDMs dive op, that would be your closest walking distance fix and it would probably fix the locker and night diving issue too. I'm guessing that when you rented the night tanks you weren't staying at CDM. People do night dives there all the time, and I assumed they got tanks from CDMs op. Not sure, but I've gotten most or all of my night tanks from Roberta. I'm not sure of her current policy/hours. I've been diving with Scuba Shack. They're a small boat operation. When I was there, there was water, fruit and some kind of crazy great pastry for the SI. It's a good dive op like many others on that island.

There's a nice little range of accommodations in that area with Palmar, CDM, Park Royal, El Cid and Village Tan Kah. Plus you've got an OXXO, a little mom and pop convenience store if it's still there, Ernesto's, Paprika, Tikila, CDM's restaurant, etc.

Roberta's Scuba Shack – Cozumel, MX

Haven't ruled VTK out. It's a choice between the luxury of a high rise condo versus the sheer convenience of VTK/ScubaShack. As far as I know Palmar is independent condo owners.

Haven't ruled VTK out. It's a choice between the luxury of a high rise condo versus the sheer convenience of VTK/ScubaShack. As far as I know Palmar is independent condo owners.

You are correct. All units are independent condo owners. We rented a spectacular three bedroom condo there. The foyer of the condo was larger than our previous room at Casa Mexicana. There are great deals for some of the units on AirBnB. The pool is spectacular, too. We had it mostly to ourselves at the end of November last year.

For me, Coz would be a one and done if I wasn't a diver. The diving is what makes me want to return (and soon!). I never understand why my cruise ship fan friends go there. My "return to" island would be St. Lucia, if Delta didn't charge an arm, two legs and a kidney to get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom