Divin' in da UP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghof

Registered
Reaction score
I’m posting this on the Tech Diver section. Though not particularly technical, it was far from an average run-of-the-mill dive. If the moderators want to move it, that’s fine.

Prepare yourself to be dazzled for a longwinded narrative of true events with a limited amount of sarcasm and tongue in cheek wit.

Enjoy, and have a happy new year.

GHOF

Report:

Date: Dec. 30
Time: 12:30pm
Air Temp: 23F
Wind: 25mph w/gust to 35mph and snow squalls
Water Temp: 35F
Surf: 1’-2’
Current: 1.5 knots
Divers: Mike (Lost Yooper), Steve, and me.

The mere thought of doing this dive gave me chills throughout my body hours before we even started packing our gear. With wind chills well below zero and the water temperature at a bone numbing 35F, my bones couldn’t stop from shaking. Still, I just had to try this new Abyss Pro Kevlar dry suit and Apeks TX100 reg.

As Lost Yooper and I sat in the van awaiting Steve’s arrival, we would frequently peer out the window at the miserable weather and say “we’re friggin’ crazy, you know?” LY was convinced that this would rank among our worst dives to date with only pain, cold, and exertion to look forward to, but an experience just the same. I was the eternal optimist.

Steve showed up with the 12’ ladder we needed to use so we could get out of the water. See, the dive site is a fishing pier that runs east and west, and across “the crick” (Saint Mary’s River) is Soo Ontario Canada about a mile away. There’s a blue fence made of 2” steel tubing about 48” high along the perimeter of the pier, and the water is about 6’ below the top of the pier – making for a fun jump. We set the ladder into the water about 4’ or so and paddle locked it with a chain to the fence.

With the ladder secured and the dive flag bobbing in the water, we determined that the inevitable had come – it was time to actually get wet. With superhuman effort, we donned our gear. LY was using his LP95, Halcyon wings, and, of course, diving dry. He was using this dive to test a new weight system we made so he wouldn’t have to use a weight belt with his single tank. In short, we took two 1” cooper tubes 15” long, filled them with lead and bolted them to each side of his STA. Then we filled his STA adaptor to just under the strap slots with lead for a total of 24lb of weight integrated onto the BC – no weight belt needed.

I dressed up in my new dry suit and donned my Halcyon BC and double Faber LP 95’s so I could do a buoyancy check. Steve was ready to go, and we were all getting very cold due to the cold wind chill. “Let’s get in the water and get warmed up, eh?!” LY says with an evil grin. So, we walked over to the fence and Steve climbed over and jumped in ever so gracefully. Then LY jumped in backwards with fins in-hand which he would don in the water – a perfect 10. So, now it was my turn. I should mention that I am, oh how should I say, vertically challenged (OK, I’m short). Where LY and Steve simply bound over the 48” high fence with their single tanks, I looked at this neck high ice laden obstacle with great concern and fear of the potential hazards that could be inflicted to the various important parts of my anatomy. With one last wince and fins in-hand, I grit my teeth and took my first step with great effort. Then another step and another until the time of truth came and it was time to swing my right leg over to the other side – “Easy now, don’t slip. Don’t slip” :eek:.

Gasping uncontrollably, I am over the railing with the exception of my primary regulator on the 7 foot hose that got slightly entangled on the other side. As I leaned over the railing, the hose had managed to slip from around the back of my neck and was dangling on the other side of the fence. “A dilemma!” I said to myself. Standing on glare ice and holding onto the slippery railing with one hand and my fins in the other, I asked myself “how do I get the reg back around my neck?”. Well, I managed to let go of the railing and grasp it instead with my armpit thereby freeing up my hand to get my reg back around my neck. So, without further delay, I flopped into the water, in my own “graceful” manner, reminiscent of a cartoon character.
Once underwater (about 10’ deep), my attitude underwater took on a rather disturbing head down/tank down position. At this point of this ordeal, the only thing that I cared about was catching my breath from all the prior exertion and near misses. My Apeks reg was giving my plenty of air during this head down point of the dive, but was also allowing plenty of water to enter my mouth, which vaguely made me feel like I was drowning – less than pleasant, I must say.

Not long after a coughing/drinking episode, LY showed up and took notice of my rather peculiar disposition. Amused, I’m sure, LY grabbed my fins (still in-hand) and proceeded to attach them to my feet, so I might better be able to right myself. With two loose fins, I grabbed a hold of a piling and righted myself. LY and myself kneeled down on the bottom looking at each other as a matter of getting organized. Still winded, we just relaxed for a bit and composed ourselves (OK, myself). LY checked the water temperature – 35F; visibility – 5’; and the current was about 1.5 knots.

After an OK sign, I began following LY and the real problems started. It didn’t take long, and I found that my feet were floating significantly, even with 1.5lb ankle weights on each ankle. I rolled and tried to vent the suit again, but to no avail. It didn’t take long, and I was exhausted. It was time to quit, and I surfaced. LY popped to the surface to see what was up, and I told him I was quitting. Without an argument, LY (who had his share of a workout) agreed, and we headed back to the ladder against the current where Steve was already exiting.

I reached the now icy ladder still gasping for breath. I looked up and realized that I now had to climb this 12’ ladder, and scale that 4 foot ice covered fence again. As I regained my composure, but still getting beat up by the two foot waves (did I mention the two foot waves?), I ventured up a couple rungs of the ladder. Being utterly exhausted, LY kindly removed my fins and handed them up to Steve :help:.

Alas, it was time to climb this ladder. But wait, LY calmly informs Steve and I that his fins were entangled in monofilament line. When I went to reach down to grab the line it became apparent that my gloves had become frozen to the ladder. As I tried to free my hands, Steve (also on the ladder without his gear) cut the line from LY’s fins. After I managed to release my hands from the ladder rungs, I began my trek up the ladder.

Upon touching each rung, my mitts immediately froze to the metal, as did my boots making the climb with doubles tanks agonizingly difficult. Eventually, I managed to get to the dreaded fence again (did I mention I’m short?) gasping for every breath. With Herculean effort, I thrust myself over that 4 foot fence – jewels be damned!! With Steve’s help, I survived my second encounter with the fence and made it to a bench where I finished gasping for breath while LY gracefully climbed up the ladder and over the fence unassisted (curse, curse!!) :upset:.

With ice now forming on my suit and face, I realize that I must again stand up and walk the tanks to the van – a mere 50’. As I reached the back of the van, LY was sitting on the tailgate, suit now frozen and stiff, and was struggling to get his frozen harness off. Seeing how I could possibly offer some assistance, I gritted my teeth and grabbed a hold of his arm and wrenched it in such a manner to allow him to free himself of the harness. If you knew LY as I do, you would understand that he never passes up an opportunity to get even :egrin:.

Whence is became time for me to free myself of my frozen harness, LY kindly gritted his teeth and manipulated my arm so that I might be able to get out of the harness. It became apparent that my left arm is not particularly flexible, so with great determination and ambition, LY switch to my right arm. With envious glee, he proceeded to hyperextend my elbow, shoulder and wrist until I was free of those #%&$@ double tanks. Thanks LY!

Such it was, another day of diving in the UP. Though not the worst day of diving we’ve seen (yes, it does get worse), it reminded us of just how insane people can get when they allow their passion for their hobby get the better of them. You see, LY and me just don’t see diving like most -- obviously. No one in their right mind would voluntarily go diving in below freezing conditions in rough murky water that’s near freezing. Nope, only a true nutt case would do something so ridiculously stupid. I think we’ll stick to our deep wrecks – it’s safer and more fun!!

Where are we divin’ next week, Yoop? :bonk:

A grand tale...
Enjoyed every word.
Thanks,
Rick

Great report, Thanks.
I really miss diving during the winter months. I don't have my coldwater gear yet.
You have helped me to realize that I don't miss it enough to do a dive like that :cold: ........................maybe 15 years ago :D: (it seems like the older I get the more I feel the cold)

What a cool report! My teeth are chattering :gator:

<<chuckle>>

A well told story! I'd like to hear more about your adventures with LY and Steve. Makes our Swamp Diving look like a walk in the park!

(Today's conditions at the quarry outside of Dallas: 40 degrees surface, 44 degrees at 45 ffw; North wind about 5-8mph and gusty; high clouds, vis 10-15, but several silt clouds from previous student groups)

Oh, and even with all of that, how did the new dry suit perform?

--TexasMike (member ScubaBoard Editing Gnomes Local 1013)

My thoughts:

I thought duck hunters were bad.

Thank God I'm a CAD

And that was fun????

Tom

I did try dry today. No rental suit that fit my neck and body at the same time. Plus I didn't want to combine a new BC with dry suit diving the first time.

Dear GHOF and all,

After my rather tepid dive (72 degrees) in Blue Spring today, I was first challenged to give my own dive report detailing how incredibly hard it is for us here in Florida to cope with such TORRID winters. The sunburns, burning your feet on the hot hot sand, and of course the excessive visibility that only those who dive in our crystal clear springs could ever understand! But, I would not want to take away from your moment of angst, so instead I have set your recent diving endeavor to verse... With apologies to the Mammas and the Papas, and all those who loved their "California Dreaming"... (Author's note... don't forget to repeat each and every friggin line as you sing this arcane ditty)

Caribbean Dreamin’
by NetDoc & Texas Mike

The ice is all around…
And the sky is grey.
I went down for a dive…
On this winter’s day
Wouldn’t need that dry suit!
Down in F-L-A!!!
Oh Caribbean Dreamin’
Now there’s hell to pay!!!

Slipped into my dry suit.
It was spanking new.
Oh, I zipped it up tight!
I knew just what to do!!!
Then I strapped into my BC…
Oh how the wind blew…
Oh how I wish I had known…
What I was gonna go through!

Had to climb a sharp fence
I met along the way
Well I got my regulator tangled!!!
And I began to pray
I was just too short,
To continue this a way
If it wasn’t for Lost Yooper,
I’d still be there today!
Oh Caribbean Dreamin’
On this freaky cold day!!

Then I dropped into the lake
My head was suddenly down!
If it wasn’t for Mike…
I would have certainly drowned!
I was so exhausted…
I headed up with a frown…
Oh Caribbean Dreamin’
I felt like such a clown!

I had to climb a ladder,
To get out of that lake!
My fingers froze to each and every rung
And I began to shake!
My tush it was so frozen,
I felt like it was going to break
Oh Caribbean Dreamin’
It’s the trip to make!!!

TexasMike,

Well the saga of the LY and GHOF continues. We made some adjustment to the underwear and added some 10 pounds of weight, and the Abyss Pro Kevlar drysuit performed flawlessly. The Apeks TX 100 2nd on the Poseidon first without a freeze kit, and the Zeagle Tech 50D on the TX 100 first (my primary on the 7 foot hose) were perfect. Water temperature was 34F, visibility was 15 feet, air temp was a blistering 10F.
The dive site is the municipal marina in Soo, Michigan and since the docks are barricaded we had to enter across the slippery snow covered rocks (with twin Faber 95s). The suit is so tough that I had no worries about damaging it on the rocks as it has Kevlar reinforced kneepads. The walk from the car to the water is about 150 yards though a foot of snow. I think it is uphill both ways :wink:. The dive itself was uneventful, but it was fun to come up under the ice shelf and bust through. The ice was clear and about ½ inch thick.
LY thought it would be a nice dive, so we went back home and got his gear, and he made a dive an hour or so later.

Take care.

Hey LY,
If you would be so kind, please submit a little short story on your own walk in the park on the Stalker in the Straits of Mackinaw last spring. And don't leave out the details.
GHOF

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom