Diving a Florida Pier?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are there any where diving or snorkeling is actually allowed? It's unequivocally: STAY 300' AWAY! These are a hotbed for marine life as is indicated by the live transmission below, or the article a few months back in the SCUBA magazine regarding diving Ft. Lauderdale's pier, for example. Furthermore, Is it restricted purely for safety reasons? Minor rant off.

Thanks.

--
David

It's not a pier, but Blue Heron Bridge is great, and legal.

Given the amount of fishing I see from piers, I'd give it a second thought even if it were legal. I understand where you are coming from though, there would likely be some fun, easy diving available if they were accessible.

It's not a pier, but Blue Heron Bridge is great, and legal.

Given the amount of fishing I see from piers, I'd give it a second thought even if it were legal. I understand where you are coming from though, there would likely be some fun, easy diving available if they were accessible.

Yeah, I agree regarding the fishing aspect. I'm headed to Blue Heron in a few weeks!

It's all about timing. We wanted to dive a pier near St Augustine (?) back in the 70s. The owner said no, then he was reminded by an employee of a major rod lost the day before. We even got to do a giant stride (not recommended), found several rods and had a blast. So couch it as a clean up or the like and they may let you meander among the pilings.

sometime it's allowed when the pier is closed or as they said above when is time to clean it up.

Most piers I've seen in my limited experience are closed for safety reasons because of the fisherman above. They'll close the pier to fishing for a day for underwater cleanup from time to time though.

I've done blue heron 2 or 3 times, none of them were good dives. Single digit viz every time. But the videos looked REALLY good for a shore dive.

Dania Beach pier used to have an annual cleanup dive. They would close the pier and allow divers to go in and pluck the fishing hardware.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom