Diving after 65

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoga. Good for those core muscles, and helps with breathing/air use. So do the machines in the gym.
Book dives where your tanks are on the boat when you arrive. More fun than carrying them. Shore dives, with sketchy terrain in and out, are hard work. Be careful, and stop to rest if needed. Don't slip and fall, we heal more slowly at our age (68 here).
Yeah, stay fit, exercise generally, cardiovascular fitness is desirable. Aren't most dive fatalities "medical events"? Swimming is the easiest, then bikes, then, uh, "running"..
Nitrox. Seems to help.
Prescription mask, and read-your-gauges insert, is nice.
Don't go into the pool, or the water, with your hearing aid in place! I did this yesterday. Brilliant.

Stay healthy, and it ain't that strenuous once we're in, we're weightless fer chrissakes ;-) Folks have dived into their 90's, they just donned and doffed their rigs in the water.

To shift Henry Ford's quote into "diving while old", it's "whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right".

I'm 65 ... still actively diving in the cold environs of the Pacific Northwest. Mostly shore diving, which means walking to and from the water to wherever you park the car. Currents can sometimes tax your stamina as well. So I hit the gym regularly to maintain good heart health and muscle tone. There are people here who maintain this type of diving well into their '70's ... and even the occasional person who will continue diving into their '80's. As with most activities, if you just keep doing it, your body adapts as it ages ... and you learn new techniques that enable you to continue the lifestyle you enjoy well into old age.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

68 here. Still going strong. Well, strong for having 7 back sugeries. Mostly do boat dives with tanks already on the boat. Remove gear before getting back on the boat. Use wheeled bags to get other stuff to the boat. Work smart, not hard. Tipping well the first day works miracles for the rest of your trip. Keep shorr dives to easy entry and exit. Stay fit both cardiovascular and weight. Have fun.
Cheers -- MM

I'll turn 65 in November and was certified on my 57th birthday. I also had a hip replacement in 2003. I work out with a personal trainer/gym owner three times a week and I have border collie who loves to walk. Because of some lower back problems, I don't do backrolls or walk with my tank on. Just put my gear in the water, and I put it on there. I also don't climb any ladders with gear on anymore. Stay active, keep fit, and keep on diving is my goal.

I'm 69 and am pretty active which is probably the key -- IS the key. Most diving doesn't require a whole lot of fitness -- UNTIL IT DOES!

I won't do 5 dives a day any more and sometimes "One and Done" is the result. I also don't dive 130s any more.

IF you dive dry, get a P-valve!

To add to everything that everyone else said:

Relief zippers in all my wetsuits. Best thing I ever did!

- Bill

And a 5mm wetsuit at that. I'm 67, with a sciatica-effected left leg, and a residual lower back issue dating back to my 20's. I find that the extra support that my 5mm wetsuit provides makes diving a lot less stressful (as compared to the 3mm I was diving before - and all of my diving is tropical).

Last year I did my Divemaster course at age 56. During the course, the instructor told me that as an elderly diver, I might consider a twin side mount set up. I liked the suggestion but ELDERLY -- WTF!!! I am fit and passed the swim tests. I have little problem with a traditional single cylinder on the back. But two 7 litre side mount cylinders is appealing!

GJS

Back
Top Bottom