Diving after 65

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All!

So I'm going to be 70 in October. Scuba diving has been my sport of choice for 49 years and the scuba diving wife is only one year younger. We're both still experimenting with new BCD's, dry-suits, weight systems, etc.

The local dive operator is happy to see us turn up and even lets me dive solo when the wife can't make it.

So what's the problem with diving after 65? Go for it and don't worry. Dive within your training and skill level and enjoy!

Hi All!

So I'm going to be 70 in October. Scuba diving has been my sport of choice for 49 years and the scuba diving wife is only one year younger. We're both still experimenting with new BCD's, dry-suits, weight systems, etc.

The local dive operator is happy to see us turn up and even lets me dive solo when the wife can't make it.

So what's the problem with diving after 65? Go for it and don't worry. Dive within your training and skill level and enjoy!

Bert - I am inspired and thanks for the lovely post. I have at least another decade of diving!

I'm nearly 71 and still collecting Iron Diver certificates from every Agressor boat I visit.

This makes me smile. A few weeks ago I got one on the Aqua Cat and thought to myself that I hope not only will I be physically capable of doing that every time but also that mentally, the fire will continue to burn white hot to do so.

I've been wondering about this because my wife and my retirement plans involve diving the world.

I've been thinking that side mount might be a good idea at some point. In theory, you might want to get certified for side mount so that in the event of an injury you are ready to go.

However, sounds like it could be just as easy gear up/off backmount in the water. Any silver fox divers with experience with box side and backmount have thoughts on this?

I'm 75 and still diving, but less often and only warm easy dives that I regarded as lightweight 50 years ago. "...the sword outwears its sheath" is a poetic truism. I can feel my body telling me not to do what was fairly easy 10 or 15 years ago and I'd be a fool not to listen, though I still want to dive deeper and longer in more challenging conditions.

There is also the element of commercial dive operations. One gets weary of seeing the same awkward look on the faces of divemasters when they see my DOB. I keep myself in very good shape and am usually assumed to be around 60. To avoid problems I tend to dive where I'm well known when I'm on holiday, or solo here in the states. I don't need some boyish instructor younger than my regulator offering to hold my hand on the second shallower dive.

A decade or two ago I laughed at young divers who lacked the skills I have, who were still a little afraid of the water, and who blew through their air because they never really learned to swim well and gracefully. These days, when I may need a helping hand getting back in the boat, I'm much more humble. Time is a reality we can ignore only to a point.

I am 70, diving for almost 55 years of that. I was fortunate and in pretty good shape until cancer struck so I did not have much trouble even at my "advanced" age. Most of my diving is in "cold" water although I like it warm when I can get it).I know divers in their 80s and early 90s that still do an occasional dive.

Last year I did my Divemaster course at age 56. During the course, the instructor told me that as an elderly diver, I might consider a twin side mount set up. I liked the suggestion but ELDERLY -- WTF!!! I am fit and passed the swim tests. I have little problem with a traditional single cylinder on the back. But two 7 litre side mount cylinders is appealing!

GJS

So how old was your instructor?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last year I did my Divemaster course at age 56. During the course, the instructor told me that as an elderly diver, I might consider a twin side mount set up. I liked the suggestion but ELDERLY -- WTF!!! I am fit and passed the swim tests. I have little problem with a traditional single cylinder on the back. But two 7 litre side mount cylinders is appealing!

GJS
When I was 56 many yrs ago I was diving with twin set + 2 deco mixes and two short deco(1hr) dives per day. I only do one tec dive per day now.

Your instructor must be pretty "young" and innocence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom