Diving after it rains

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C2001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was just wondering if there is a "waiting period" after it rains before you should dive. I know that the rule for surfing and swimming in the ocean after it rains is 3 days if you are near a drain area. Is it the same for scuba diving? Also what about diving when it rains. Does rain ruin a dive (reduce vis, reduced fish activity). I know that the best time to go to Seaworld is when it rains because the animals are more active and playful.

It is going to depend on the location. Some areas may be polluted from runoff and it would be best to wait. If there is no pollution issue, then again, local conditions will apply, some areas are fine as far as viz and current goes, others may be churned up a bit.

I have not noticed a difference in the sealife where I normally dive because of rain, but again, that may vary with location.

Depends on how far out you go.

What seaducer said. What also occurs if you dive during rain is that there will be less ambient light (as compared to a sunny day), so it will be a bit "darker" during the dive. Everything else just depends on the dive site as to how much the viz is affected by runoff, etc. Local divers (and the local dive shop) should provide good advice regarding how the diving typically is after/during rain.

Good question, Paying attention to your dive environment is a crucial as paying attention to your equipment. All part of planning a dive. I agree with Lead Turn and Garrabo, all depends on the area, shore dives for sure need more thought, but out in deeper water boat dives your likely ok. Always good to talk to other divers and get a feel of the area.

I enjoy diving in the rain as I catch better fish and its just really cool to look up as your doing a deco and seeing the rain hit the water!
the only time I have not liked diving in the rain was during a bad fast moving storm that turned the marina I dock at up side down! but other than that your their to get wet anway so why not!!

It is going to depend on the location. Some areas may be polluted from runoff and it would be best to wait. If there is no pollution issue, then again, local conditions will apply

agreed.

Just couldn't resist adding this photo
PA260194.JPG

Taken in Phuket, Thailand during the rainy season. In this area, like many others in similar latitudes, if people didn't dive for a few days every time it rained there would be very few days left for diving.

hehe, nice pic Broadreach. It brings to mind another consideration, you probably want to tip the boat crew a little higher:D

Just a thought, but where do you think that pollution goes that you wait a few days for? Does the dump that Uncle Harry took that got washed out to sea just go away? You may think so but I wouldn't bet on it.

The next time you turn your nose up at divers that dive polluted waters think about this. I'll just call them Muck Divers but they know what they are getting into and they get properly protected. On many dives the diver won't even get their hair messed up let alone wet because they are totally sealed from the surrounding pollution.

The average rec diver has a minimun of protective gear on in compairson and a lot if not all of their body makes contact with the surrounding enviroment.

So if you're diving in a part time polluted area you should take into account that some of that pollution is more than likely going to hang around. Some very pristine looking bodies of water are about as polluted as a septic tank when a water quality study is done. We have one of those lakes right on the edge of town. People swim, boat and do general recreation on it but when we have to dive it we get sick. We send in 10 divers 8 will get sick. It is the only body of water I have ever seen that supports worms throughout the entire water coloum.

If you're worried about polution don't dive where you think it may be poluted and stay away from ALL the bottoms. :wink:

Gary D.

Runoff from the rain can be real nasty. I surf and surf reports say stay out of the Ocean. I'm waiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom