Diving After Punctured Lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perry64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife is a certified diver, but she punctured her lung in an automobile accident several years ago. Her doctors advised her not to dive after this and she hasn't since.

However, some people have said that "it's probably okay, but no doctor will clear diving after a punctured lung because there are no studies showing it to be safe."

Does anyone know the truth of the matter? She was never an avid diver, but she still sometimes misses it. However, she (rightly) refuses to go diving unless she receives assurances that it is safe, which I agree with. I'm hoping that someone with knowledge of dive medicine can clear this up for us, or at least tell us where to look to find a doctor with enough experience to state definitively whether it's safe or not for her to dive.

All I can offer is to call DAN and get to a dive medicine doctor for an opinion. When I had to go to a dive doctor he actually called around to other doctors as well.

And as I was told it is also about risk tolerance. Nothing is guaranteed.

keep us informed...we all would like to know the answer to your question???

She should be evaluated by a diving medical professional. In general, as long as she is fully healed, otherwise healthy and has had radiological imaging studies that don't show any areas of potential air trapping, there would be no reason not to clear her to dive. We've evaluated and cleared a number of divers with the same issue. However, every case is individual and her providers at the time may well have had a good reason not to clear her. You may also want to circle back with them.

Best regards,
DDM

I was able to find these threads (Has anyone been diving after a collapsed lung? and Scuba diving days over after punctured lung? ), which discuss many aspects of it in great detail. The gist of these essentially breaks down to what DDM (who contributed significantly to the linked threads) said in his post on this thread: a punctured/collapsed lung does not automatically prohibit diving, but each person should be cleared by diving medical personnel after a collapsed lung before diving again.

Additionally, many medical personnel not trained specifically in dive medicine might automatically default to saying “No” because that will be safer for them. Like lawyers, no doctor ever got sued for saying “No” when the answer was “Yes,” but many get in trouble for saying “Yes” when the answer was “No.”

Some more info that I gleaned from the thread (layman’s paraphrase – I am not a doctor):

Collapsed lungs generally fall into one of two categories:
  • Spontaneous pneumothorax: This is where the lung collapses on its own without any extraneous trauma. It is generally recommended that someone who has had one of these not dive because there is a high likelihood of recurrence, which would be catastrophic. However, this is not a hard and fast rule. One contributor to the thread, divefish, had been diving for 25 years unaware that the spontaneous pneumothorax he thought he had experienced at 20 made diving so dangerous for him. He went to a dive medical professional who did a CT scan and said that divefish's lungs looked fine, he likely hadn't had a spontaneous pneumothorax and was probably ok to dive again. However, it seems that is the exception more than the rule.
  • Traumatic pneumothorax: This is where the lung collapses due to a trauma, such as a broken rib puncturing the lung. In this case, the person is normally cleared to dive as long as there isn’t any air that escaped the lung remaining in the chest cavity. However, it might only take a review of existing records from the injury, or it might involve various chest scans, but the person needs to be cleared by a diving medical professional before resuming diving.
So, just follow DDM’s answer: if you’ve had any sort of lung damage such as a punctured/collapsed lung you should see a medical professional specializing in diving and get cleared to dive again.

DAN can get you a list of doctors that are in your area. My insurance did not cover the visit because it was not considered medically necessary. But I am thinking it was less than $100.

Based upon the advice in this thread (Thanks!!), I contacted DAN for a doctor's referral. They sent me a list of pulmonologists (none closer than the Bay Area) and another of doctors who have registered with DAN and are closer to Monterey.

There was also a long spiel on diving with lung damage that echoed what DDM said: get approval from a pulmonologist (preferred) or a doctor with a dive medicine background before resuming diving. Since there was some interest in anything I learned about the topic, I'm including their response here:

"Thank you for contacting Medical Services of Divers Alert Network. You have asked a very reasonable question regarding pulmonary injury and scuba diving. Since barotrauma can occur with hyperinflation of lung tissue, a diver’s lungs must be able to tolerate rapid changes in volume and pressure. Fibrotic or scarred tissue may be of particular concern to the SCUBA diver since it offers a reduced compliance through its interfacing normal lung tissue. Any weakness in lung structure or architecture may be predisposed to rupture from even slight over-inflation. Pulmonary barotrauma usually happens towards the end of a dive, including from a shallow dive, and refers to rupture of the lung air sacs (alveoli). Gas that escapes can enter one of three places:

(1) the area around the heart (causing pneumomediastinum or mediastinal emphysema);

(2) the pleural space between the lung and chest wall (causing pneumothorax);

(3) the bloodstream (causing arterial gas embolism, AGE).

Following a trauma induced pneumothorax, there is lung injury. That lung injury may have healed uneventfully, no scarring, no fibrosis, no further risks. Or it may have healed with scar tissue, adhesions, or a weak section of the lung tissue. While a history of a pneumothorax may not be a problem above water, a pneumothorax occurring underwater with the expanding pleural air on ascent will cause a lung collapse. This event, known as a tension pneumothorax, may not be survivable for the SCUBA diver. Some individuals will be able to get medical clearance to dive following a traumatic pneumothorax, some will not.

Please see two following emails. One will be for dive medicine experienced pulmonologists, and is the preferred route for an evaluation. Unfortunately, the closest in the DAN referral database is in Palo Alto. The second email is for other physicians with a dive medicine background. They may or may not be able to assist, I am including them because of location.

Once evaluated, and assuming your wife is medically cleared to dive, it is also a good idea to have the medical clearance in writing. When you complete the requisite medical form for any dive location, the past history of a pulmonary event will likely trigger a red flag for the dive shop or resort. Having a letter may smooth the process. It is also a good idea to discuss your medical history with the dive destination prior to your arrival, to ensure they will accept the letter, or any other documentation they may require."​

I was in a motorcycle accident about 15 years ago. Injuries included 6 cracked ribs with 2 of them puncturing the lung. This was on the lower left side. I was in icu for 48hrs. All jacked up on demorall (sp?)... They kept me there to monitor the amount of fluid in my lung. If the fluid exceeded a % they were going to drain it. It never did. I don't remember how they checked the level but I was getting lots of x-rays and such.. on demorall....
It was probably 5 years later that I dove again. I honestly didn't think about it. It had been a while before that since I had the opportunity. Nothing bad happened. No pain, nothing. Since then, I have been diving a couple hundred times at least. Mostly -70' reef dives, but have been below 100' several times and nada problemos!!

Not condoning or advising. It's just for your information :)

Just ran into this thread, and thought I'd add my two bits as I just went through this myself. I fractured 7 ribs and collapsed lung last September and had a dive vacation planned for March. I got referrals from DAN and ended up seeing Dr. Andrew Newman in Palo Alto. He had me get a CT scan and pulmonary function test, but he was out of network, so my primary care Dr. ordered for me so they were covered by insurance. I was cleared for diving, so it is possible. The fee was $275, but we'll worth it to me to be able to dive without worrying if I was risking my safety.

Back
Top Bottom