Diving After Simple Disk Decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharky1948

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering a simple decompression of L4/S1. I have degenerative arthritis in that joint, a herniated disk, and a narrowed foramin. The net result is pretty painful sciatica when the cotisone shots have worn off. The surgeon has indicated that a simple decompression will do the trick. I need to confirm, but I assume it would consist of a discectomy (partial removal of herniated disc) and a foraminotomy (widening of the opening where the nerve root exits.)

Does anyone have experience in the length of time required for recovery and rehab prior to resuming diving? (Steel doubles, etc....about 100lbs of gear.)

I have also contacted DAN and am awaiting a response.

Thanks!

Boy, I'd ask your surgeon. It's not diving per se -- It's handling load of that magnitude. My off the cuff guess would be six months, but the surgeon would be the one to know.

I was snow skiing 6 months after having L1-L4 fused and having Harrington Rod installed. It will have everything to do with your rehab.....
19 years later, I just wish that I was not 70lbs. heavier than when I had my
surgery, I don't climb anymore, and can't run, but still having fun!

Back when I was doing such operations, I usually restricted heavy lifting for six weeks, but you must check with your own surgeon since operative trauma differs depending on the precise surgery performed.

If I didn't remove a disc but only did a foraminotomy, I let people go back to lifting a bit sooner. The main concern. other than letting the muscles heal, is a risk of re-rupturing the same disc (which occurs in up to 20% of people after surgery in the first several years post-op). The hole in the disc, made bigger by the surgeon, must seal and how long that takes is anyone's guess...:confused:

I never liked to restrict people from their normal activities too long, because deconditioning can set in (the older the patient, the more quickly he/she gets out of shape with inactivity). Thus, the standard guessimate is 6 weeks minimum, 12 weeks maximum before diving (but you must follow your own surgeon's advice:no ).

When you return, don't hesitate to seek help whenever possible (put the equipment on in the water, have buddies lift your tanks, or, when on a dive boat, sit on the platform and have others carry the equipment to you, take it off in the water and have others haul it up).

I would note that several of my surgeon colleagues have had back surgery...they were back at work the next day...do as we say, not as we do.:D

Sharky1948:
I am considering a simple decompression of L4/S1. I have degenerative arthritis in that joint, a herniated disk, and a narrowed foramin. The net result is pretty painful sciatica when the cotisone shots have worn off. The surgeon has indicated that a simple decompression will do the trick. I need to confirm, but I assume it would consist of a discectomy (partial removal of herniated disc) and a foraminotomy (widening of the opening where the nerve root exits.)

Does anyone have experience in the length of time required for recovery and rehab prior to resuming diving? (Steel doubles, etc....about 100lbs of gear.)

I have also contacted DAN and am awaiting a response.

Thanks!
I had what was called a high-energy trauma injury to my back - a stack of full beer barrels fell over on top of me - that resulted in a crack in L5 and a couple of torn and bulging disks. With a little support, the crack healed itself but I ended up having a laminectomy at L4/L5/S1 to correct stenosis and clean the disks up. I'm hesitant to call my experience commonplace but it took about six months of intensive PT to gain most functions back and another six to reach full potential. Though I still have a significant (~15%) innervation deficit to my left leg, I'm cautiously able to carry heavy loads and I dive with doubles and stages routinely. I'm also 6'2" (formerly 6'3") and strong like bull, so YRMV. For me, it was a toss-up between the decompression surgery or fusion and I went the more conservative route - I woke up from the surgery and could tell that it had worked even before I left the recovery room and have never looked back. That was fifteen years ago, sometimes my back gets tired and sore and I try to be very careful when I load myself but I'm very happy with the results. My canary in the coal mine is my left foot, when it starts to get mushy I dial the loads and activity back and ramp up the stabilizing exercises, most of the folks that I've talked to that have been through the procedure have found something similar that acts as an overload warning.

Thanks for the encouraging responses! I've been putting this off for several years and I guess it's time to bite the bullet and give up some of the winter dives in the Northeast. I guess that's not a big sacrifice for a lifestyle improvement! :D

ps. Thanks also to everyone for not pointing out my obvious error! I should have said L5/S1. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom