Diving after surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soggybadger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks. Just had a kidney out by keyhole surgery and was wondering if anyone has any Idea how long I should wait before I dive again? I have spoken to my doctor and they seem to think that four to six weeks should be adequate but don't really know for sure as it's not something that they have been asked before. Any advice appreciated.thanks.

4 to 6 weeks is not a bad deal to wait after losing a part like that. I would listen to your doctor. If you were told not to dive any more or to wait a year I would get advice from DAN or a diving doctor. Or do you feel you should wait longer and think 4 to 6 was to soon? Again contact DAN is best bet....

4 to 6 weeks is not a bad deal to wait after losing a part like that. I would listen to your doctor. If you were told not to dive any more or to wait a year I would get advice from DAN or a diving doctor. Or do you feel you should wait longer and think 4 to 6 was to soon? Again contact DAN is best bet....
I don't think my doc has a clue to be honest. Four to six weeks was the recommended time before driving so he used that as guide I think. Just removed the r.

DON'T GET MEDICAL ADVICE ON THE INTERNET!!!! This isn't like asking if a hangnail is ok to dive with, you've had an organ removed. Call DAN, if nothing else they can refer you to a doctor who is familiar with diving. And ask a moderator to move this post to the medical forum so people who are actual medical professionals can send you in the right direction.

ask a moderator to move this post to the medical forum so people who are actual medical professionals can send you in the right direction.
I think this is the right answer. As well as contacting DAN
Cheers -

DON'T GET MEDICAL ADVICE ON THE INTERNET!!!! This isn't like asking if a hangnail is ok to dive with, you've had an organ removed. Call DAN, if nothing else they can refer you to a doctor who is familiar with diving. And ask a moderator to move this post to the medical forum so people who are actual medical professionals can send you in the right direction.
It's only a kidney so don't worry as I have a spare and it was only minor surgery with no after care. Also my partner is a doctor and she is stumped on this one too. Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't get this type of medical advice here on SB. Definitely contact DAN and communicate with them and get their advice, they are the top experts in these matters. Do NOT get your advice here.

Back
Top Bottom