Diving after surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife had a hysterectomy this past year. The doc that cared for her was also the surgeon for the procedure. And, thankfully, a vacation diver. She asked the wife to not bath in a tub for two weeks and to not dive for six. She reserved the right to change her mind if there were complications. Thankfully there were none.

I also reached out to DAN. They will most likely tell you three weeks minimum but that your doctor/surgeon has the last word. As long as the body cavity isn't holding gas, my wife's doc said that giving the incision points time to heal is priority number one. Keep the infections at bay as best as possible.

I did not stay at holiday inn last night. Just words from someone that has been through a similar experience recently. Asking for medical advice here might be suspect. Asking what others have experienced seems legit. I know that I searched far and wide for surgery info and found very little, which was frustrating. I didn't expect the internet to give me advice. I had hoped that Scubaboard could have told me if the wife's doc was even in the same ballpark with what others had experienced. (My searches were before the doc's "six week" request, which seemed well inside what might be expected.) Unless you live in one of the diving meccas, finding a surgeon with a lot of experience working on divers will be a long shot.</mini-soapbox>

Ask and let ask. :)

Hi soggybadger,

Despite previous opinions there is a modicum of diving medical expertise on the board, though your primary source of information should be your surgeon and other medical practitioners who can examine you in person. The surgical recovery is one thing; for that, as long as the surgical site has healed completely and your surgeon has cleared you for full activity, diving should not be an issue. Another equally important factor is whatever underlying condition you have that required removal of a kidney. Were you a donor, or did you have some sort of renal pathology?

Best regards,
DDM

My wife had a hysterectomy this past year. The doc that cared for her was also the surgeon for the procedure. And, thankfully, a vacation diver. She asked the wife to not bath in a tub for two weeks and to not dive for six. She reserved the right to change her mind if there were complications. Thankfully there were none.

I also reached out to DAN. They will most likely tell you three weeks minimum but that your doctor/surgeon has the last word. As long as the body cavity isn't holding gas, my wife's doc said that giving the incision points time to heal is priority number one. Keep the infections at bay as best as possible.

I did not stay at holiday inn last night. Just words from someone that has been through a similar experience recently. Asking for medical advice here might be suspect. Asking what others have experienced seems legit. I know that I searched far and wide for surgery info and found very little, which was frustrating. I didn't expect the internet to give me advice. I had hoped that Scubaboard could have told me if the wife's doc was even in the same ballpark with what others had experienced. (My searches were before the doc's "six week" request, which seemed well inside what might be expected.) Unless you live in one of the diving meccas, finding a surgeon with a lot of experience working on divers will be a long shot.</mini-soapbox>

Ask and let ask. :)
Thanks for the reply. The gas in my body was my main concern as I haven't been able to consult my surgeon .

Good luck with the healing process. In January I cracked 3 lumbar transfer process (the little wings on the vertebra that the muscles hold onto), and after 7 weeks I still have pain in lower back. My doctor chuckled when I asked when I can dive and said MAYBE in May. He obviously is not a diver and doesn't know what he is talking about. LOL I will do what he recommends.
Cheers -

Hi soggybadger,

Despite previous opinions there is a modicum of diving medical expertise on the board, though your primary source of information should be your surgeon and other medical practitioners who can examine you in person. The surgical recovery is one thing; for that, as long as the surgical site has healed completely and your surgeon has cleared you for full activity, diving should not be an issue. Another equally important factor is whatever underlying condition you have that required removal of a kidney. Were you a donor, or did you have some sort of renal pathology?

Best regards,
DDM
Renal cancer. Hopefully removed.thanks.

Don't know about kidney surgery but my doctor is also a diver and told me to wait six weeks after my keyhole surgery. I was ready to go at 4 weeks but waited the extra two weeks.

Renal cancer. Hopefully removed.thanks.

I hope so too. Are you going to be going through any chemotherapy or radiation?

Best regards,
DDM

After keyhole kidney surgery the gas ( CO2 ) should be completely reabsorbed by 48 hours or less. Healing of the incisions should be 80% by six weeks and the other 20% over the next year but with laparoscopic surgery, the incisions are small so no real issues with hernia or disruption due to lifting after about 4 weeks from surgery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom