Diving alone in shallow, "controlled" conditions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello guys. I am considering solo diving. Ive googled the general attitude among experienced divers, but hear me out:
  • Its in Denmark, a saltwater "lake" surrounded by land, 7 km in diameter and with 2 narrow 30 meters openings, one leading to the North Sea and one further in the "fjord".
  • No place there is deeper than 6 meters.
  • My dives would happen from the beach with the dive site approx. 300m from shore
  • my buoy would be a SUP board with a small engine on and a paddle
  • The point would be harvesting a few lobsters now and then.
  • Weather is very predictable and I only go in calmer conditions.
Im doing the dives dives without oxygen now, but would like to try with scuba gear.

I find that all the risk normally mentioned are mitigated with this simple shore dive for lobster, but I recognize that I am an inexperienced diver (but semi experienced speargun "hunter" and sea forager).

What are you thoughts? Would it be crazy to bring oxygen next time?

Also, are there any problems with scuba diving in open cell wetsuits?

I'm a big fan of solo diving. That said, barring some translation issues, it doesn't sound like you have the experience to do so safely without proper training and you probably don't have the equipment to do it safely right now either.

I'm a big fan of solo diving. That said, barring some translation issues, it doesn't sound like you have the experience to do so safely without proper training and you probably don't have the equipment to do it safely right now either.

^^^^^^^^
This.

Most people do the scuba diving course have no experience
of a (semi experienced speargun "hunter" and sea forager)
and may never, become a forager or even a scuba diver

Europe has a free culture where many rely on their brain
to make experiment in the many beautiful waters you use
so bring your oxygen AIR tanks next time and go and use it

The only problem with closed cell suit is hard to putting it on
many people use sup board or kayak or canoe and if deep
of lake is 6metre they build and use the oxygen machine

There are many place to learning and course from video
man and to get experience on different thing is very smart
to do, so if you learn stuff until it leaks out your ears is good

Thank you for the reply. Hope I can ask some followups.

What training and equipment would that be? Equipment I can just purchase. But I wonder what the next step would be? And what concrete safety challenges do you see?

Yes, you can purchase the equipment.

I'm not sure if you are scuba qualified or not (reads like not). There's a few things you should know before going underwater with air tanks and there are easy ways to get badly hurt even at six metres.

You could learn these things from the internet but most people do a scuba course and get properly qualified. Good luck and enjoy your learning.

I recognize that I am an inexperienced diver (but semi experienced speargun "hunter" and sea forager).

Hey mate, if you are these things you already know the answers

Reactions: Doc
Yes, you can purchase the equipment.

I'm not sure if you are scuba qualified or not (reads like not). There's a few things you should know before going underwater with air tanks and there are easy ways to get badly hurt even at six metres.

You could learn these things from the internet but most people do a scuba course and get properly qualified. Good luck and enjoy your learning.

aybe it wasn't clear, but I am certified cmas certified, but only with like 5 dives outside of the certification process. Should have led with that :)

There is an avid and dedicated group of folks who solo dive, as you have discovered there is also a large group that will try to dissuade you.

The basic necessities of solo diving are having sufficiently redundant equipment to enable you to handle your own emergencies, things such as a fully redundant air supply, like a pony bottle with independent regulator, spare air, or doubles. You should also have a spare mask and redundant cutting tools. Everything should be reachable with either hand. Most importantly you should have the right attitude, you should be able to plan your dive, including air supply planning, be able to calmly handle any emergency, and be confident of your ability to deal with it without any help. That generally means practicing various emergency reactions until they are second nature to you.

The question is do you have the requisite experience to do that with only 5 dives after certification? Most would say you do not. Most agencies that teach solo diving require that you have a minimum of 100 dives before They allow you to enroll in order to ensure you have sufficient experience and can truly imagine all the things that might go wrong in order to truly prepare yourself mentally to react to them.

There is a solo diving sub forum on SB that has a wealth of information if you take the time to read it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom