Diving alternatives during port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex Prins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

First time in Cozumel, here for 8 days solo to dive as much as I can. I got 2 days of diving so far with Aldora (awesome dive shop) but the Norte is shutting down the port for what looks to be next few days.
Does anyone have suggestions on places to dive during the wind events? I would be open to taking ferry to PDC if diving is open out that way (maybe the cenotes, not sure if the rain will ruin viz).

I rather change my flight and leave for home tomorrow than sit in hotel room not diving. I can save a few vacation days at work and come back later in the year.

Any recommendations?

The usual problem is the port call is day to day, in fact hour to hour, so you often don't know there is not going to be diving tomorrow morning until tomorrow morning. But if the forecast is obvious and your op can take you off the list for tomorrow then ferry over to PDC and dive. I've done that before and the ops there can usually accomodate last minute divers. When it's rough on Coz side (west side) it's usually calm on PDC side. The reefs are not as spectacular but you'll still see lots of fish in clear water. And cenotes are always calm.

The forecast is not promising through the weekend.

Also off the mainland, you can possibly do a bullshark dive. But maybe look into cenote diving as the wind really shouldn't affect anything. Rain might cloud up water near the entrances but I doubt it would make it very far into the cenotes. I could be wrong, though.

there is lots to do other than diving. dont cut your time short. go enjoy something you would not normally. maybe you will be surprised.
if the port in playa is open you can certainly get in some decent diving there. and as said, the cenotes are a great option. i think if i was going thru the trouble of going to the mainland i would head to the cenotes.
yes, depending on the cenote, the rain could disturb the viz.
i would contact Matt at Tank Ha in playa. he can provide any helpful info you need.

The forecast is not promising through the weekend.
Boohoo:(

Thank you for all the tips everyone! It looks pretty bad for rest of week in Coz. Possibly friday afternoon or saturday, but not super promising. The cenotes will be a great adventure, I will contact tank ha to get the low down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom