Diving and Doxycycline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania:
...As a generally healthy person I stick to this rule - so I don't take pain killers when diving (even if I have a headache evening before), I don't take seasickness medicine etc. But if you have to take medicine - check it first with the appriopriate MD...

...For me and strictly for me the fact that it may cause nausea is enough reason not to dive while taking doxycycline...

That rule is okay as a personal rule :D , but everyone should be aware that most pain medications will be out of our systems in 8 hours. Taking a couple of Tylenol or Motrin, or even Vicodin the night before for a headache or chronic pain won't effect or be effected by your dive. Seasickness medicine isn't even a problem. In fact, a lot of doctors will recommend meclizine during dive trips because of the motion of the boat and the potential for seasickness. No worries during the dive because the reason you're taking it is on the boat not under water. In other words, you shouldn't be afraid to take medicine just because you're diving. If you would normally take it anyway and you know it won't be bad to take while diving, then take it.

Almost every drug out there MAY cause nausea in someone. Drug companies are required to state this if even just one person became nauseated during trials.

I'm not big on taking meds myself, but some people need them for real medical reasons and shouldn't be afraid to take their meds on dive trips.

Well, I took Doxycycline a few weeks ago for bronchitis. By the time I went on my dive "vacation" to Puget Sound, it was 24 hours post the last dose and my bronchitis had been in remission for about a week.

Because it's a smaller dose and only twice a day, I did not have the usual GI distress I normally have when taking most of the -cillin class of antibiotics (like I'm on now for a sinus and ear infection :11:)

As for the diving, I didn't notice ANY effects from the Doxy, though as I mentioned, it had been 24 hours (+) since my last dose.....

I've taken Doxy as an anit-malarial for a trip to the Solomons and had no adverse effects while diving. You start taking Doxy about two weeks before leaving, so it gives you a good chance to monitor yourself for any side effects. The only problem I had with Doxy was if I had something to eat about 2 - 3 hours after taking it I would feel nauseous. It wasn't a problem - all I had to do was remember not to have morning tea!

Mel :)

Snowbear:
Well, I took Doxycycline a few weeks ago for bronchitis. By the time I went on my dive "vacation" to Puget Sound, it was 24 hours post the last dose and my bronchitis had been in remission for about a week.

Because it's a smaller dose and only twice a day, I did not have the usual GI distress I normally have when taking most of the -cillin class of antibiotics (like I'm on now for a sinus and ear infection :11:)

As for the diving, I didn't notice ANY effects from the Doxy, though as I mentioned, it had been 24 hours (+) since my last dose.....

Thanks Snowbear. As we both know published info doesn't always include the ADRs that specific kinds of activities may generate with a specific drug. So I apprediate your input.

I'll still be on it when diving and for a bit after getting home. But, from what you and others have said it shouldn't be any more of a problem than a bit of mild olefactory obnoxiousness to those around me.(How's that for using socially sensitive language, eh?)

Sorry to hear about your infection. Had one of those last Spring. bummer!

scubadoc:
...Also, BillP has written a classic discussion of risks and scuba diving which would be good reading for all of us that deal with fitness to dive questions. Many of us are too quick to rule out sport diving on the basis of rigid adherence to guidelines promulgated for military, scientific and occupational divers.

Let me butt back in here to pass on that the speaker yesterday at our symposium pointed out that ADRs(Adverse Drug Reactions) are in many cases individualized. Certainly there are specific contraindications for specific drugs for specific populations of people. But, often, some would say too often, people are seriously injured or killed by an ADR that would not affect the general population. When it comes to drugs there is no room for cookie cutter medicine, whether self-prescribed or prescribed by a medical professional.

Every drug needs to be carefully considered before ingesting and the results carefully monitored to be sure the desired effect is being achieved and there are no debilitating ADRs. That consideration needs to include reviewing authoritative references and if there is some unusual environmental factor, like scuba diving, seeking specific information about that use. What better additional information source than divers who have used the drug?

That is the heart of my originating this thread.

This site has it all! My bud just started a 21 day dosage and we leave for little Cayman August 26th...good to read it's a no factor medication for diving.

This site has it all! My bud just started a 21 day dosage and we leave for little Cayman August 26th...good to read it's a no factor medication for diving.
Old thread I know but warn your friend that Doxycycline is one of the more frequent antibiotics that I have seen cause photosensitive reactions. Make sure he/she wears a hat, protective clothing and sunscreen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom