Diving and Flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will always stop diving at least 24hrs before flying. This isnt only for my own sake but for the sake of my family. It would be them that would suffer most if I died just because I wanted to get another dive in.

Dear readers:

Surface intervals are like deco stops. Best not to cut them short. [Probably best, also, not to cut your mother-in-law short when she is talking....] :nono:

Dr. Deco

Wow, I got a whole lot more here than I bargained for! LOL
You guys are great. I'm glad I found y'all! :)

Originally posted by Dr Deco
:doctor: [This little fellow, by the way, looks nothing like me.....]

I'm glad you told me that, 'cause everytime I read one of your posts I envision this white-haired balding old man in a lab coat! LOL

So are you as cute as you are funny?!?! :wink:
(I'm female, so it's ok to answer that question!)

Dear got4boyz:

My wife thinks that I am cute and funny. In the next few months, I am planning to give a talk at the Bay Area Divers meeting in Seabrook, TX. If that is close enough to where you live, you can come by.

Dr Deco

Hey Dr. Deco, what are the details on the Bay Area Divers talk? I'd like to come if I can make it. I'd give my left fin to go to your Advanced Decompression Physiology course at USC in September, but unfortunately it's out of the question. Be sure and keep us posted on any other times you'll be speaking too.

Originally posted by Dr Deco

My wife thinks that I am cute and funny.

Good answer! :)

In the next few months, I am planning to give a talk at the Bay Area Divers meeting in Seabrook, TX. If that is close enough to where you live, you can come by.

Had to look it up on the map, but it's only about 2 hours away so depending on what night it was, we'd love to come. My husband and I are really wanting to get into diving.

Well, this will be my last post for awhile. I'm off to Cozumel in the morning for a week!

I'll look forward to chatting with you all again when I get back. I'm really new to all of this and you've all been very helpful.

Adios mis amigos! :)

The cabin pressure in the plane is reported as 6000 to 8000 feet depending on which report you read. But about 1 1/2 hours after leaving the Denver Airport at 5000 feet, I'm at 11.600 feet at Eisenhower Tunnel, down to 8000 in Summit County and at the 2 1/4 hour mark back up to 11,300 on Vail Pass. 45 minutes later I'm home at 6600 feet.

Seems like you almost need a deco stop just to get home.

If I leave the windows closed and the vent fan on high does that pressurize my car? Maybe Don could test something in his lab.

Tom

Originally posted by Mario S Caner
My previous post however was inteded to say, listen to you computer as apposed to not having a clue yourself and saying "ah, it's been long enough... I think... let's just catch the early flight instead".

Many of us tend to forget that the average "weekend warrior" diver whom travels once a year, is not the honed, avid, experienced diver that most of the board members here are. Most divers sadly do not put that much effort forward, to keep informed. Most have no clue, but hopefully as we get more and more divers to know about this site, we will help to bring the standard up.

Mario,

Perhaps, as highlighted by this issue, there ought to be some form of compulsory training for computer diving. Even if it is just to highlight the differences between computers, and that what computers say is not 'tablets of stone'.

Time for a distinctive specialty? Would be quite a nice non diving one, could be taught over 2 evenings, and also include getting students into the shop to look at and play with computers.

Jon T

We teach a Multi-Level Computer Specialty Course here. It was authored by the Course Director whom certified me. He's got it structured to play with computers on a full day or multi day charter boat. He doesn't charge for the rental of the boat, and often times he only charges the c-card costs for the training. All in all a nice deal. Perhaps you should author a similar course for your area and submit it to PADI, they would be more than happy to assist you.

I've written a couple of 'em myself...

Mario,

Just come back from the london Dive Show, and when I was there, I got talking to a CD that I know, and I will probably be doing an IDC this summer. I have finally got fed up with being a DM and dealing with crap instructors. I now just need to juggle holiday times and see If i can arrange a long enough time away from work to do it.

Once I have done it, I WILL be submitting a distinctive speciality course for computer use, and also, I suspect, a higher level physiology course (mebe not as high as the genuine Dr Deco advanced physiology course!).

Now to save up the pennies!

Jon T

Back
Top Bottom