Diving and hair straightening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nelumbo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ladies,

I'm new around here, and I've just discovered the Women's corner...lots of great advice!
I'm considering doing a hair straightening (brazilian or japanese type, not decided yet) because I have bloody frizzy hair.
The results look great in everyday life, but I was wondering how the hair might react with diving (getting wet, dry and wet again, and salt water too) ?
Has anyone here experience with hair straightening?
Thanks

I did the Japanese thermal straightening about 7 years ago but unforunately wasn't diving then. :(

Both involve steps that heat your hair in a combination of products to make it smooth. Diving does nothing but dry my hair out. I have mildly wavy long hair that does make frizz. I minimize daily blowdrying and flat iron for when I need my hair to look good. Hair colouring, highlights all look crappy after frequent diving ime. Basic clean cuts and natural hair stand up the best for me. If you are not diving weekly in the ocean and pool I would consider more costly styling and treatments, right now it's a waste. Just some Miss Clairol to wash that grey outta my hair....

to add to that. the thermal straightening is EXPENSIVE as hell. I think mine cost like $600. I've now learned to blow dry in sections with a round brown and hit any difficult spots with a flat iron and it does the trick. I just can't drop that kind of money anymore....well unless it's for diving haha.

Don't know about straightening, but I know constant diving trashes a perm pretty quickly. Although wearing a hood or cap to minimize the water sloshing through your hair helps a great deal.

The other option (at least for cold-water divers) would be to get a latex dryhood attached to your drysuit...as opposed to using a drysuit hood. My hair stays dry when I dive, and I love it. In my case, I appreciate keeping my head dry more for the warmth than because of the protection for my hair, but I can see how keeping the seawater away from dyed/permed/straightened hair could be a big side benefit for some people.

+1 on the dry-dry-drying, and the dampness / humidity exacerbates any curl / frizz. A lot of ladies carry a small bottle of leave-in hair treatment for after the dives - put it right into the hair after the diving is over. If you can fresh-water rinse it first, all the better.

+1 on the dry-dry-drying, and the dampness / humidity exacerbates any curl / frizz. A lot of ladies carry a small bottle of leave-in hair treatment for after the dives - put it right into the hair after the diving is over. If you can fresh-water rinse it first, all the better.

I've done this too. Little bit of spray conditioner after your dives

Have done the Keratin straightening, supposed to be a temporary (3-4 month) thing, but 19 months later still have remains of...so much for temporary! If you decide on any of the straightening techniques diving will do nothing to remove the results. It is expensive and can be a hassle to grow out (imagine stick straight below, ringlets on top...). My curls have almost grown all back, maybe an inch or two remains straight and I won't do it again. I've found fewer shampoos, even after swimming or diving, has helped lessen the frizz. Just hit it with a conditioner and rinse well. Moroccan Hair Oil also helps cut my frizz and smells great.

I sorry for bump an old topic I just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future. I had the Coppola Keratin treatment just over 12 mths ago at a salon so was keen to give this a go as I couldn't justify the cost to go back to the salon. I followed all the directions, and having had the treatment applied before, I felt ok doing it myself. I did take a while, from the initial step of washing with the clarifying shampoo supplied in the kit, to the final flat ironing. Then you have to leave it in for 48 hours before washing (I did buy the matching shampoo and conditioner, as I previously using the Organix shea butter range and really liked them) and can't tie your hair back or put it behind your ears etc. I noticed a couple of things that are worth mentioning. One, after the treatment, the product in my hair felt really and waxy and kind of stiff. It didn't look too bad, but the feel was yucky. After the salon treatment I remember it felt more 'normal'. This time, I wasn't even sure I could leave it in for 2 days. I'm not sure why this happened. Perhaps less efficient flat ironing on my part (you have to pass the iron over the hair 7-10 times, in small sections). Two, my hair is dyed mid-dark brown with light brown foil highlights. The treatment has actually taken the colour back a couple of shades, especially the highlighted parts. And the colour was quite brassy (orange). I didn't mind the lightning but not so keen on the brassiness. While in the 2 day wait I bought a blonde toner, only $5, to use after washing to try and correct the orange. So, I stuck it out for 2 days, and I admit the product did get absorbed and it was not quite as waxy, especially in the ends. But I couldn't wait to wash it out! I used the Organix products 15 Best Shampoo for Brazilian Blowout Reviews for July 2018! and the toner after the conditioner. And the end results, after the first wash?...really, really impressed! My hair is lovely and soft and silky. It was so easy to blow dry and straighten, and has a healthy shine. I will be interested to see how long it lasts, but so far I'm pleased with the results for the price. I have no idea about safety for use while BF though. I didn't find the fumes unpleasant, but they were definitely there, and to have the effect it must have some chemical reaction going on.

Back
Top Bottom