Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal articles on Pubmed Central

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Simon Mitchell

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

As some of you know I am Editor-in-Chief of Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine. This is the peer reviewed scientific journal jointly published by the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society and the European Underwater Baromedical Society. The journal appears quarterly. Although the article abstracts go onto / pubmed / medline immediately, the articles themselves are embargoed to members only for 1 year after release at which time they appear on pubmed central. There are many high-end diving enthusiasts on this site who would find the ~$USD85 SPUMS non-MD associate membership fee to be a very worthwhile investment to get the journal articles immediately on release without having to wait for a year. The journal is usually packed full of relevant articles - for example, the cover summaries of the papers for the upcoming June issue looks like this:

Bullous lung disease and cerebral arterial gas embolism

Does closing a PFO reduce the risk of DCS?

A left ventricular assist device in the hyperbaric chamber

The impact of health on professional diver attrition

Serum tau as a marker of decompression stress

Are hypoxia experiences for rebreather divers valuable?

Nitrox vs air narcosis measured by critical flicker fusion frequency

The effect of medications in diving

Members can also go to the meetings which combine diving and great diving science in cool places (this year in May its in the Solomon Is, next year in New Zealand). Anyone interested in joining can do so at the SPUMS website:
User account | SPUMS

Beyond this gratuitous advertising (which is nevertheless for the common good!) the purpose of this thread is to say that from now on I will use it to draw board members attention to potentially interesting papers as they become available on pubmed central after the one year embargo, with links to where you can get the papers. When you follow the links you will find there is an option to download the paper as a pdf.

Here are some examples. The in-water recompression paper was released earlier than a year because an early release fee was paid to the societies.

1. Spisni E, et al. A comparative evaluation of two decompression procedures for technical diving using inflammatory responses: compartmental versus ratio deco. Diving Hyperb Med. 2017;47:9-16.

This study has been discussed on scubaboard previously. It compared post-dive bubble production and inflammatory markers in human divers following dives to the same depth and bottom time with decompression according to a Buhlmann profile (less deep stops) with ratio deco (more deep stops). The findings were interesting!
Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6147226/

2. Sharp FC and Sayer MDJ. A technical diving related burns case: treatment in a remote location. Diving Hyperb Med. 2017;47:127-130.

This was a report of an oxygen fire and the resulting injuries in a rebreather accident at Truk Lagoon.
Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6147225/

3. Doolette DJ, Mitchell SJ. In-water recompression. Diving Hyperb Med. 2018;48(2):85-95.

This is a comprehensive summary of the evidence in support of in-water recompression as an early intervention for decompression sickness. It is of extremely high relevance to technical divers.
Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6156824/

I will update this thread periodically as more interesting articles become available.

Simon Mitchell (Editor of DHM)

Awesome. Thank you, Simon.

Thanks a million Simon, very thoughtful for the community as a whole.

Thanks so much Doc! New Zealand trip sounds very tempting. It would be a pleasure to meet you in person.

Very thoughtful of you to do Simon, and I think readers will find it invaluable.

Thank you Dr Michell for the information and invite
I have passed the information on to my son Sam IV who is the director of ER department of the local regional hospital well as being a Scrips trained hyperbaric doctor and a PADI instructor, a NAUI Life instructor and the recipient of the SSI Pro 5000 award-
sdm

Thank you for the post. I happen to have access to PubMed through my wife's work (Dean of a PA program) Is it possible for you to post a 'heads-up' on interesting articles before the 1 year embargo expires?

Thanks for posting. It is way over my head but Mrs Flush really enjoyed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom